Aftermarket Petcocks

BlackRabbit18

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My original XS1 petcocks are toast, the brass tubes are broken off on both and the bodies are completely corroded solid. I was able to clean one body pretty well but the brass tube is still broken lol. There’s no way to fix that correct?

So I was looking at aftermarket Petcocks. Saw these on 4-1 and thought this is a great price for a pair ($30): https://4into1.com/left-right-petcock-set-yamaha-xs1-xs2-xs-tx500-650-tx750/

Then I saw MikesXS had them for $40 a piece! https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-petcock-oem-type-non-vacuum-lh-oem-447-24500-02.html

Has anyone had any luck with either of these Petcocks? I don’t wanna cheap out but I also don’t wanna spend money where I don’t need to. Thanks!

Attachments

• 925A3396-1296-4962-9DFF-6CD28411976C.jpeg
    925A3396-1296-4962-9DFF-6CD28411976C.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 72
  • C37A6650-7200-4384-8FCC-0B32BE88D83D.jpeg
    C37A6650-7200-4384-8FCC-0B32BE88D83D.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 69
If you want to badly enough, replacing a brass tube is pretty straightforward. You drill out what's left, and peen in a new tube. Tube material can be found at hobby stores that cater to model railroad enthusuasts, and I think Hobby Lobby has them too. The hard part is drilling just enough diameter out so that you get a good friction fit when you peen the new tube in.

What I don't like about the aftermarket replacements is that they extend further below the tank then stock. Stock 70-72 petcocks really hug the tank. I don't think this is actually an issue, but I'm not sure.

I'm using aftermarket petcocks on my original XS2. They fit and work just fine. The thing you have to remember is turning them to off is different than OEM ones. OEM right to the front, left to the back. Aftermarket both to the front.

I'm using aftermarket petcocks on my original XS2. They fit and work just fine. The thing you have to remember is turning them to off is different than OEM ones. OEM right to the front, left to the back. Aftermarket both to the front.
No muscle memory to unlearn for me! Bike is new to me and hasn’t run off the tank yet. What aftermarket Petcocks did you get?

If you want to badly enough, replacing a brass tube is pretty straightforward. You drill out what's left, and peen in a new tube. Tube material can be found at hobby stores that cater to model railroad enthusuasts, and I think Hobby Lobby has them too. The hard part is drilling just enough diameter out so that you get a good friction fit when you peen the new tube in.

What I don't like about the aftermarket replacements is that they extend further below the tank then stock. Stock 70-72 petcocks really hug the tank. I don't think this is actually an issue, but I'm not sure.
That’s good to know if I wind up going that route, thanks!

I've also rebuilt some OEMs with kits from "gasp" Mikes and had them work just fine.

I don’t know the spacing for XS1, but yamahaxs650.com has reasonably priced replacements left and right. I bought them for a 1975 tank.

Back