Aftermarket Wheels/Brake Configuration

davidoder

XS650 Member
Reaction score
What going on guys,

Just picked this up from a family friend. It's been sitting in a shed for 6 years. Engine is healthy. I am doing a full rebuild on the bike and am reaching out for some tips.

I would like to replace the factory wheels. However I feel there might be some issues doing so, especially with the drum brake setup in the rear.

If anyone has swapped wheels or knows if it is even feasible and how to go about the brake situation, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

IMG-2462.jpg

What going on guys,

Just picked this up from a family friend. It's been sitting in a shed for 6 years. Engine is healthy. I am doing a full rebuild on the bike and am reaching out for some tips.

I would like to replace the factory wheels. However I feel there might be some issues doing so, especially with the drum brake setup in the rear.

If anyone has swapped wheels or knows if it is even feasible and how to go about the brake situation, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 233506
You could go with 650 Special alloys, that would be the easiest thing to do, and they can be made to look good. What size wheel(s) are you thinking about?

That single downtube goose neck frame is kinda neat.:thumbsup: What brand is it? The 16" rear alloy and 19" front alloy are cool wheels. Double discs are a plus too.

Direct bolt on wheel options depending on the look you want are either the Yamaha 650 Special cast 7 spoke mags or the Heritage Special 48 spoke wheels, they're still drum rear and 16" rear 19" front
Mike's XS sells lighter weight discs with aluminum carriers that are direct bolt up as well if you want to remove some weight from the front end

Direct bolt on wheel options depending on the look you want are either the Yamaha 650 Special cast 7 spoke mags or the Heritage Special 48 spoke wheels, they're still drum rear and 16" rear 19" front
Mike's XS sells lighter weight discs with aluminum carriers that are direct bolt up as well if you want to remove some weight from the front end
I was thinking a mag wheel for sure. The ones mike xs sells still maintain the drum in the rear with the mag wheels?

Do you know of anyone doing a disk conversion in the rear?

Thanks all for the responses!

That single downtube goose neck frame is kinda neat.:thumbsup: What brand is it? The 16" rear alloy and 19" front alloy are cool wheels. Double discs are a plus too.
I wish I new what brand the frame was! Can't find any brandings on it, and the previous owner doesn't know much about it either.

I'm trying to find out myself lol, trying to learn as much about the bike as possible.

Not sure I think there was one year where the special rear mag came with a disc, or was it only one year with a drum, either way rear disc mag wheels were available.
It would necessitate finding all the parts, wheel, disc, caliper and carrier, spacers etc., and possibly adding a torque link mount to the swing arm.
Plus the master cylinder, lever, hose

You could go with 650 Special alloys, that would be the easiest thing to do, and they can be made to look good. What size wheel(s) are you thinking about?
I like the size of the wheels now, maybe would think about doing a 20-21 in the front and like an 18 in the rear.

I definitely would like to run mag wheels. like a 5 or 7 spoke.

Not sure I think there was one year where the special rear mag came with a disc, or was it only one year with a drum, either way rear disc mag wheels were available.
It would necessitate finding all the parts, wheel, disc, caliper and carrier, spacers etc., and possibly adding a torque link mount to the swing arm.
Plus the master cylinder, lever, hose
Do you have the link for the mag wheels on mikes xs? The ones that fit the stock drums. Tried looking for them and couldn't find where they are on the site.

Thanks!

They're stock Yamaha wheels that were available on the Special models of certain years. Check classifieds here, some of the XS650 forums (of which there are several) and ebay

I wish I new what brand the frame was! Can't find any brandings on it, and the previous owner doesn't know much about it either.

I'm trying to find out myself lol, trying to learn as much about the bike as possible.
I can't really tell from just the pic provided, but the front downtube is similar to a Voodoo Vintage MK5:
MK5_03_1024x1024@2x.png

Back