Alignment issue. XS650SK

A local vintage dirt bike guy gave me a lesson in aligning the front end. It amounted to tweaking the bars with the triple clamps loosened while the axle remained tight. I did it with the front wheel clamped in the vise. It's pretty easy to adjust. It seems I should have figured that out on my own. Oh well.

If it makes you feel any better I'ma be doing the same thing. When I pulled the top triple on Sodak to get the ears off for mr. paint the triple doesn't line back up with the tubes to reassemble. Every thing will get checked but a flat surface set on on the front of the tubes shows the lower triple is bent.

If it makes you feel any better I'ma be doing the same thing. When I pulled the top triple on Sodak to get the ears off for mr. paint the triple doesn't line back up with the tubes to reassemble. Every thing will get checked but a flat surface set on on the front of the tubes shows the lower triple is bent.
I can do this without dismantling the front end (removing the forks)?

YUP!
If you can find a flat surface, a piece of glass, a metal plate, even a piece of thick plywood or board that is straight would work, I have a small granite surface plate that will span the two tubes and fit between lower triple and fender, it's easy as can be to do.
The XS1 has external springs and gaiters so I'm checking between the triples, but below the lower works the same, since you know your tubes are straight.
The gap is visible here and the plate will "rock".
When I disassemble I will straighten the lower. It's pretty easy, probably could be done in place with the wheel and fender off, and tubes lowered one at time. With clamp bolts "just" loose, use the tube as a lever. Adjust (bend) till both tubes align with and easily slide up into the upper, done.
KIMG1696.JPG

Since we are talking about the cast, or forged? lower triple,
An interesting discussion of cast iron vs. cast steel
https://www.reliance-foundry.com/blog/cast-iron-vs-cast-steel

Last edited:
OK. That last step also passed. I haven't ridden it since the tweaks, but I think it's going to be fine. Why did it take me so long to screw this up? It seems in almost 40 years I'd have been through this already. I'm disappointed I cracked the fender.

Back