All together not running

bkmarsha

Brad
Reaction score
I got the engine put all back together after a tear down and rebuild

i had it running for a while to heat it up to readjust everything (valves, head torque, timing and cam chain tensioner)

when rotating the engine adjusts the valves i noticed that i had not tightened the cam chain tensioner cover nut and it had walked out while running the engine, also i head a noise inside the crankcase that was unnatural

i feel that the chain may have been lose enough to get moved out of position on one of the gears.....is this even possible

after i adjusted the valves (only small adjustment needed) and torqued the head i have been unable to get the bike to start again

is there anyway to check the chain positioning with out taking the engine out and tearing it apart again

sorry i feel like that was long winded and has several questions hopefully someone can decode it and help me out

there is a way, but you need to know how to make a cam degree wheel, and have all the tools.

It's unlikely (i think) that you've skipped a tooth. There's not enough slack in the chain, even with the tensioner removed. I could be wrong about that.

forgot in my first post that i took a picture of the pamco rotor orientation at tdc engine

didnt know if this could be used as a reference to tell if the chain is mispositioned

Attachments

• 0321001751.jpg
    0321001751.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 201
- you can quickly check the cam timing by taking the ATU cover off and putting lh cylinder at TDC

points models

- remove the atu plate and look for the pin in the camshaft...it should be at 0°

P1260012.jpg

TCI

- no need to remove the ATU plate as there isnt one...look for the pin hole...it should be up

bk,

If you look again at the picture of the PAMCO at TDC, you can see the groove in the rotor, and the magnet, and they are located by the pin that inxs is referring to.

Doesn't look good.

Yeah, i've gotten the engine form in the frame and running to out torn down to the pistons in 90 mins with a friend helping. Back in in 2 hours.

I am not proud of this in the least. <sigh>

Back