Alternator Brush Wiring Question

mrtwowheel

Honda Etched On Brain
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I am wiring the Fiat regulator and an ebay rectifier to a Honda DOHC alternator. These alternators are the same as late model XS650's.

I've been through many threads here and this is what I'm stumped on. One brush is wired to the green wire coming from the regulator. WHAT IS THE OTHER BRUSH WIRED TO? I can only guess, and that's not good enough. Thread after thread and post after post and I can't find the answer.

I know that these components can be used on this Honda because Pamco Pete tried to introduce this to a Honda forum once and was chased away because of the forums loyalty to Oregon Motorcycle Parts and their intolerance to his other modifications. He was never allowed to discuss the wiring for these parts.

Thanks for any help, Scott

There were 2 alternaters used. Very similar but minor differences. Biggest difference is that the brush block on the '80 and later are insulated from the houseing.

Really? They chased Pete away because he had a $10 fix? Well, I think that explains it. No more $80+ Oregon reg/recs would be sold, right?

If you're dealing with a set-up like the late Yamaha 650, the other brush is switched power. The regulator switches the ground on and off to control the charging output through the green wire. The power is fed to the other brush. Switched power through a feed controlled by the key (on/off switch).

Thanks 5 twins, that just seemed to me that the rotor would be getting two power feeds. I see now that the green is ground.

$150 now for the Oregon reg/rec and he uses the Fiat regulator and a 3 phase rectifier. His connections used to be CRAP, but it looks like he may have recently improved them.

I have the parts mounted and I think I can figure out the rest. I have an intact bike that I can chase wires on. I gave my stock reg/rec away to the other bike.

Scott

I noticed when I went to his site a few months back that his units used what looked like to me just like that Fiat regulator, readily available on eBay for not much more than $10. These aftermarket reg/rec suppliers are such a rip-off in my opinion. Granted, if you don't know anything about motorcycle electrics, you're happy to have them. But, you can do the same for so much less with a little knowledge. The thing is, some can't be bothered. They want it now, quick. I know from my experience anyway, and the people like that that I know, that it mainly cuts into their drinking time, lol.

OMPVRR3-1-264x220.jpg

Oregon's reg/rec.

Yeah, that's the Fiat regulator. Hard to tell what the rectifier is under that hood that covers the connections. The plate looks like it may be an electrical box cover for house wiring. There are no installation instructions on his site and none to be found on the web. $150 does get you a lifetime warranty, and it is plug and play after mounting. Probably better than the last aftermarket reg/rec that I bought that had a very short life and a very low set point for charging voltage.

Scott

Last edited:
To add further to what 5twins said. There seems to be two types of people when it comes to electrics. Those that want to learn how their bike works and want to not spend a lot of money to make repairs. Then there are the others that don't want to learn, because that is too much work, so they rather just pay big bucks and buy from the after market sellers. The after market sellers just love the second type, and take full advantage of them to maximize their profit.

Back