Alternator question

BarrieC

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Morning Guys,
at early stage of getting a basket case back on the road in "fairly" standard format - got the frame painted and now going through the getting an XS750 front end on - there was no front end, thats going well.
Majority of the bike is 1980 XS650 special engine, frame, carbs and wiring. I have the combined SS Rec/Reg, the CDI control unit but no CDI pick up. I had planned to go for full aftermarket system, but a complete points advance/retard set up came up cheap (i know they run a hell of a lot better with electronic Advance/Retard, but thought this could get me running)

Thats the background, to the point! I have 1 XS650 Rotor and 2 Stators pictured - both, i believe are type A and meant for points and old type regulator (which i have)
a CDI pick-up has become available, but from what i can see woud not be compatible with my stators - which will both need new brushes

it would be a shame not to utilise the CDI unit i have, I think I understand the part about modifying the type A to allow fitment of SS Rec/Reg

Looking for best way i can utilise the parts I have for charging and ignition without forking out for a new full ignition system at this stage

Thanks

Attachments

• XS650 stator.jpg
    XS650 stator.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 94
Welcome aboard!
Yeah, those are the stators for the points setup. There's a thread going on about the Gonzo charging system which might just be right for you.........let the lads get their coffees going and see what shakes out here as the day wears on......

Xs750 front end, eh? Did that myself some time ago. Grand upgrade it is.

Not hard to screw the pickup for the TCI onto the stater. Need to Isolate the inner brush with nylon screws. cut and and run the black wire, (from the inner brush to the brown wire, coming from the ignition, to power the inner brush.

@Jim made a diagram for the Pickup position in one of the Gonzo threads...............even if you do change the Factory TCI to a gonzo, the Factory pic up seems to work well with the unit.

Edit..........i didn't read your post properly. I now realise you dont have the picup. Not easy to find those so maybe check out the Gonzo thread they have made for a points model............think they are still finalizing the pickup problem..............so maybe easier to look for a completely different option

Last edited:
Yes welcome in!
Have you changed out the fork neck yet? Hopefully the donor front end is from an XS750 standard not a special.
I'll try to be gentle; the stock electronic ignition is a TCI, transister controlled ignition, not a CDI, capacitor discharge ignition. It matters because they require a different type of ignition coil.
Checking the rotor is #1 on the stock charging system.
Brush length follows, the stock SS preg/recs are showing their age and failure is not rare. The stock mechanical regulators, though a bit crude if clean inside are reliable as a hammer.
PS we need to see pics of your ride(s)!

Thanks Guys,
bit early for pics, but i will get some on - the bike has an interesting history, as a 1980 Special it came from the US in about 1992, the then owner went to town on the engine, stripped and vapour blasted. But unfortunately had the top end painted black and the cases finished in that horrible harleyesque black "sandpaper" finish! It came with a set of USD R6 forks and a second 16 inch back wheel that was going to be used as a front! i'm just lucky they had not taken an angle grinder to the frame!

The frame wiring, back end, had not been touched just left out, but all still good. No front end as mentioned. but some good stuff like complete piston, rings, small ends, circlips and endless Cam chain. the bores are good and have been properly honed.

so the plan is:

1.Rolling chassis - get it on its wheels
2.Rebuild the engine
3.get it running - Carbs (they look good) figure out ignition - points is default, charging,
4.get it stopping - should just be caliper and master cylinder rebuilds
5.wiring - i can see this being from scratch - have done this before
6.The rest - seat (cannot put the standard special on!) mudguards, sidepanels, simple single speedo - hopefully original XS750 or 650

So I guess im jumping ahead a bit - I like stock, but not the look of the special, I suppose, i dont know if my TCI unit even works and i dont have the right Stator, and if i buy the later model, it could already be shot.
so im leaning toward doing this as points and type A unmodified alternator - my points set up came with a regulator that looks brand new, I would just need a bog standard old school rectifier?

Now i'm worried my donor XS yokes are Special! I know the stem is shorter and i have already removed that stem from the bottom yoke, just waiting for a second 650 bottom yoke i can get the stem out of.
Originally, when I got the good forks, front wheel and discs from an XS750, it seemed reasonable to have the yokes machined out the 1mm. my local "engineering" form did this and on picking them up i found the stem no longer fitted the top yoke! They had not drilled straight. cautionary tale, one set of trashed yokes!

Lots of great info. from you guys and I guess I need to stick to my plan, while being aware of the parts i need to watch out for and face each challenge as i get there - otherwise i will go mad trying to work out charging, before I have the enginge bolted together with the gera change forks in the right place!
Had a result today, got hold of a complete late standard airbox for £30 - I like standard airboxes, your carbs are less likly to fall off, LOL

For now i'll leave you with a pic of a basket case I built on a budget in the early 90's this before Cafe racers, flat trackers, Bobbers and Brats, I love the Special wheels, tank and rear fender, and with a "straight line" on the bottom of the seat and the same with the side panels you get a really nice look on the bikes lines.
Maybe I will try and replicate, that bike?
I have owned and restored a lot of bikes off and on since then and saved quite a few from the breakers, quite a few BMW's R65, K100, 650 Funduro, Kawasaki KLE500, but there is nothing like the engine on a Yam XS650

Barrie

Attachments

• old XS650.jpg
    old XS650.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 100
First, welcome to the forum!!
Pickups are hard to come by. You'll run across more Unicorns than pickups. You might want to check the one you have before you firm up your plans. It's a 3 wire pickup... two coils with a center tapped return. Each coil should read 700Ω. Tolerance is 20%
Unfortunately, we haven't yet come up with a suitable replacement for the pickup... although the search is ongoing.
As far as the TCI box, we have found a suitable... and cheap replacement. Do a forum search for a "gonzo" ignition.
Good luck to ya.

Evening Guys, (or Afternoon!),
Just a couple of questions regarding the above - keeping in mind, i have the following:
1. 1980 Bike and engine
2. The TCI control box
3. Complete Points/AR set-up
4. 2 X Type A Stators and 1 X Type A Rotor
5. TCI Pick-ups on the way - hopefully good when i test them

I did have an initial plan to get the bike running on points, then sort out a Rotor (not many TCI ones over here)
However, just seen the post about Camshaft compatibility, Doh! I have 2 Cams, a very good one that has no bearings in it and one with surface rust that has the shaft supporting bearings. Here come the questions!

1. The good Camshft, (proberly 1980) looks to have the machining for the bearings complete - Can you get those bearings?
2. Looked at the Gonzo ignition project and found the Rotor upgrade part (thanks Jim) but not the detail around what type of magnet needed to be fitted and if it was successful?

Thanks guys - awesome site!

Barrie

2. Looked at the Gonzo ignition project and found the Rotor upgrade part (thanks Jim) but not the detail around what type of magnet needed to be fitted and if it was successful?
The magnet's from Ebay. It's a neodymium, but not the strongest you can buy.... like the next step down iirc.
And yes, the rotor worked. Have a read here.
Keep in mind, it's a work in progress.

Back