Am I just too cheap to Own an XS650? Tach/Speedo dampers for $9.90?

kshansen

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Was looking to replace the rubber dampers that hold the speedo and tach in my 1982 XS650.

I can almost accept the prices asked for the rubbers that fit around the outside of the instruments any where from $12 to $27.

But when looking for the little rubbers on the mounting bolt many of the places I checked are asking around $9.00 each! I mean if I only needed one I might say what the heck and buy one but I would need four of those little bit of rubber. At those prices those little bits of rubber would cost more than the rear tire for the bike and I have not even checked on what the shipping would be from any of those places!

Was looking to replace the rubber dampers that hold the speedo and tach in my 1982 XS650.
I can almost accept the prices asked for the rubbers that fit around the outside of the instruments any where from $12 to $27.
But when looking for the little rubbers on the mounting bolt many of the places I checked are asking around $9.00 each! I mean if I only needed one I might say what the heck and buy one but I would need four of those little bit of rubber. At those prices those little bits of rubber would cost more than the rear tire for the bike and I have not even checked on what the shipping would be from any of those places!

Hi Ken,
thing is, I have several alternate personalities, alas that Mr. Stupid is usually in charge.
But rather than paying US$9.00 each for what are essentially tap washers Mr. Bodger's
sub-personality Mr. Cheapskate would go to the nearest plumbing supplies store and buy
real ones at US$5.00 the six-pack.

I may be in need of some of those as well if I have none in my parts stash. But I think I might try to mod some grommets, cut one lip off to form the tophat shape required. Start with something like this maybe? .....

https://www.mcmaster.com/#9600k53/=1cydj2o

I took out one of my "spare" gauges, the large "gasket/damper" is shot but two of the dampers for the mounting bolts look pretty good. I will check on the dimensions of those in the morning, just had drop put in eyes for eye exam and just typing this message is a chore!

I haven't checked the size either. That one I linked to was just a rough guess, but many other sizes are available. Sure would be nice to get a giant bagful for about the same cost as just one from Yamaha, lol.

I'm not sure how "true to form" they have to be, but i just rummaged through the "hard to find" drawer at Lowe's and found 2 that seem perfectly suitable for mounting the gauge bracket. I can't remember exactly how much they were, but it was around $1.40 a piece I think. I'm using a roughed in bracket right now but it seems it would be fine on the stock one also.

Attachments

• 4DDB5526-FC38-401D-9E72-79080FB19E0D.jpeg
    4DDB5526-FC38-401D-9E72-79080FB19E0D.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 99F04AD7-C5BB-430C-A33F-E5DD1C6D3969.jpeg
    99F04AD7-C5BB-430C-A33F-E5DD1C6D3969.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 180
To replace the top ring between the Gauge and Bucket i went to a Rubber factory and found a length of firm to hard rubber the right thickness, (critical), and width. Bought enough to do several cups.....................Using the old rubber as a template, i used a sharp Stanly, (boxcutter), blade and cut a ring a couple of mm deep, the right height from the top, (for the cup lip to sit in), cut to length and glued.

This worked well except the rubber that sits in the cup was not tapered and was hard to get in the cup. Used some lithium grease and a screwdriver to help pries it in, but once in it is as firm, or better than original. Getting the right distance between the top of the cup and the gauge lip has to be pretty well on the money............first one i did was slightly wider but i managed to get the cup bolted to the gauge but felt it was forcing things a bit to much

Pete, the original grommets have a steel sleeve inserted through them so they don't crush down too much. Are you using that sleeve?

Pete, the original grommets have a steel sleeve inserted through them so they don't crush down too much. Are you using that sleeve?

5twins: No, what you are seeing is my setup "mocked up" without any grommets in there. I only have 2 of those grommets and "Miesha", my primary bike gets those while I experiment on this one. It seems based on "Dry fitting" that if you "greased'em up" they would fit, although you may have to trim the rubber a little. Just an option to throw out there.... again, if you want to remain "authentic" this option is probably not for you.

What I was getting at is you can't just run a bolt through the rubber grommets, you need the steel sleeve in there. They'll squash flat without the metal sleeve in there.

One thing to watch out for, if it's not right the needle will swing and eventually break off and then you're in that fix. At least with a Special that needle is brittle. Going to be a one time purchase and going to keep the needle from breaking. I speak from experience (I broke two needles).

I'm pretty sure I have tons of those things. PM me with an offer if interested. I'm going to need something for my time and trouble, but not $9 a piece. Let me know if you need the steel sleeves too.

What I was getting at is you can't just run a bolt through the rubber grommets, you need the steel sleeve in there. They'll squash flat without the metal sleeve in there.

5T, I think you are confusing the sleeved grommets with something else. The shaft on the gauge case is fatter than the thread. the grommet slides over the shaft and the washer's hole is smaller than the shaft,It buts against it when the nut is put on. The washer stops the grommet from compressing completely, but forces the cup against the Bezel lip .

If The Damper between the cup and Bezel lip is worn then all the dampening is transferred to those 2 small rubber's, and the cup rattles around on them. If the gauge Damper is keep in good condition those 2 small ones hardly wear at all
DSCF7775.JPG P1000295.JPG

Last edited:
I'm not talking about that mount, I mean the instrument bracket to top tree mounts.

Maybe i was wrong..........just figured the OP was talking about the cup and gauge dampers
650Skull is right, the rubber parts I was looking to replace are the big rings that go just under the bezel and has a hole for the reset knob on speedo and the two little ones that hold the gauges into the tin can.

PS After doing a bit more searching I found that www.xs650shop.com has the large rubber rings for $12.00 and the small rubber dampers for $1.99 only catch is they only had two of the small dampers but I was able to find two more in fair condition on a spare gauge I have. So I have the two upper and two of the four lower rubber parts coming for $32.45 including shipping.

I guess I can live with that seeing some places online were asking $27.00 plus shipping for one of the large upper rubbers. Only question now is how good the materials are and how they will hold up.

Last edited:
650Skull is right, the rubber parts I was looking to replace are the big rings that go just under the bezel and has a hole for the reset knob on speedo
That one is especially critical to keep the needles from swinging... I shelled out for two new ones from Yamaha and am happy I did. But -- I remember a thread here where someone used a substitute; don't remember what. If you can find that thread. BTW the speedo reset knob screws off.

That one is especially critical to keep the needles from swinging... I shelled out for two new ones from Yamaha and am happy I did. But -- I remember a thread here where someone used a substitute; don't remember what. If you can find that thread. BTW the speedo reset knob screws off.
What is the trick to screwing the knob off I tried to get the one on my 1978 off and had no luck.

I don't know of a trick. But I remember I started screwing it off accidentally one time. Try turning it the opposite direction from the resetting direction.

P.S. I see you're asking about a '78 and the OP is about a '82. Been caught many times where my info applies only to Specials and doesn't apply to earlier models.

Back