And Allison said well yeah for that money you HAD to go buy it!

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't in the market, REALLY! It was just a quick cruise through the madison CL after checking XS650.com, finishing morning chores, taking snows off mom in laws car. Kinda waiting for it to warm up and take survivor out for it's first real ride of the year. Then THIS shows up.
from the CL ad.jpg
2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200s in near-perfect condition for sale. Always stored in a garage, never outside. Very low mileage, but will need carb cleaning (not currently running), new tires, maybe a battery. Asking $500 OBO. Please call with any questions or offers:***-***-****

I almost flagged it as spam and moved on. It had already been up for two hours.
but what the heck it's a local phone number, so I call. Guy sez I had one email but you are the first call, 70 miles away. I say I'll take it, be there in 2 hours, guy says fine. He said tried to run last year but gas ran out of air box. Just wants it out of garage. Title shows he's owned it 12 years put on 6,000 miles. His buddies all sold their bikes, he just quit riding. Perfect condition is a stretch but no more than typical 15 years of garage storage, minor dings. Zero electrics. Put it in fifth motor turns free, clean title, 28,000 miles. tires are goners. I hand him the money (at $500 I am NOT dickering) and load up,
The van is no longer a virgin.

media_upload1_1524931382628.jpg

Get it home, wife approves! We always play "what did you pay?" She's pretty darned good, knowing I'm REALLY not looking for more bikes, her first guess $800, when I point thumb down she says well YEAH!
Battery toast, go get a new one. $71. It cranks, starts, no funny noises but won't keep running, add gas to tank, crack the carb drains, run out some old rancid stuff. It immediately starts and runs just fine. Wife says HEY there's gas pouring out over here! Shut it down, it's a mix of gas and oil streaming out of the breather vent tube, saw the cap in the tool box. there's about 2 quarts of oily gas running down driveway. Put a pan under it ,dump oil, and remove filter. About two gallons come out of the 3 quart sump! Refill with fresh oil and fire it up, I am seriously fogging the neighborhood. Get on the gear and head around the block. about a mile of smoking, gradually tapering off. 4 mile country block and it's running good, no smoke. Gear up and put on 50 miles. Sweet bike, will do the clean up, check up, needed maintenance and order tires today. Clean, good running "modern" gentleman's express for less than 1K and about a day's labor all in. Grin!
20180428_130021.jpg 20180428_130043.jpg

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/suzuki-bandit-1200s-road-test

Last edited:
Yeah I'm guessing he turned to prime to start then forgot and left it there. Petcock stopped flow out bowl drains turned to "on" position. But you can bet I'll be watching oil level for a bit. Looking at shinkos and working around the bike cleaning and checking.

Last edited:
What the.... gggGary, it's not even a basket case! (like the ones I buy!) Grand theft cycle! One maintenance, and a fluff, buff, & hot wax later, and you could flip it for big $$....

Great score Gary! I’ve always thought those bandits were very nice bikes.
I think she’s a beauty!

Cleaned and inspected about 3 hours this morning then; "FOR TESTING PURPOSES ONLY"
I put 110 miles on it, oddly that didn't take long. Runs revs, idles perfect, oil level didn't budge up or down, Shinko Raven tires are ordered.
I'm like'n that blue.

bandit cleaned up.jpg

If I'm going to put some miles on it I might change to slightly taller handlebars.

Last edited:
Last edited:
You had a Yamaha FJR1200 didn’t you?
What’s your thumbnail comparison?
had an FJR1300
Couple times today I thought: This is like a refined 100 HP XS650 will be fun to go back to back on this and madness.
The feejer is way more in lot of ways; power, weight, top heaviness, over all it feels like 1 1/2 times the bandit.
The concours 14 felt even bigger, faster heavier than the FJR. The Bandit is easy in town at stop lights etc. Those other two are awkward at foot paddling speeds. I liked tha Bandit on the backroads also. But today was not the best for corner work we still have a LOT of sand and salt on the roads. Need a good rain or two to get em washed off. Those ancient worn tires were always nagging at me too. They are both date coded 2003, which is kind of weird if you think about it. a 2002 with 28,000 miles and 2003 tires???????????? So the guy I bought it from never changed tires in the 12 years he owned it.

I had one of these bought it new in 2000, actually it was the next bike I had after I parked the XS that I am currently rebuilding.
I don't think they would be the original tyres Gary, I was lucky to get 10,000K's (6000miles) from a rear.
Hang on to it Gary I'm tipping these will be as popular as our XS's in 20 years time.
P6240064.JPG

I've always liked the look of the oil cooled gixxer motors. Have thought that filing and polishing the cylinder fins would make a very attractive look. break up all that black.
HS engine polished finsRH.JPG
hmm
gs-engine_zpsa0f8a1e0.jpg

I thought this test from back in the day was spot on. https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/suzuki-bandit-1200s-road-test With the exception that the shifting on this one is great. I'll chalk up their shift issues to press bike abuse. :eek:

Dug around the the shed and found this tail bag could never make it fit/sit on an XS but the rings are stretch tight fit to the bungee studs on the Bandit.
20180430_104154.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I picked up a neglected XT 600 a few years back for $375 and got it up and running within a few days and thought I had the deal of a lifetime. You've clearly outdone me with this one!

Nope it's a goner, fun whIle it was here. I put new tires on it had it working fine, but got a good offer, bye, bye.
IMHO iron butt should be done on an xs650. That would be saying something.
umm, might be riding a new to me bike home 100 miles tomorrow. It's a desease.

Last edited:
Back