Anodising experiment.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The coil on the TX went kaput, so I sent off for another CB 750 coil. It arrived yesterday so I went to install it only to find it didn't fit' the bracket I made a while back, the mounting holes on the new coil are 10mm closer together. Not much choice so I made another mounting bracket. Being as it's under the tank I anodised it instead of polishing it as I'd done with the original. Prior to anodising I rotary sanded it, then hit it with a scotchbrite wheel, then dumped it in the anodising bath. Unfortunately, anodising tends to greatly amplify any imperfections in the finish, whilst it looked great before anodising it came out showing the sanding scratches. Acceptable and not seen under the tank, but I wasn't happy with the finish, so rather than do it all again, I put it in the blasting cabinet and gave it a light blasting with glass beads. What a great finish this gave, still anodised so it won't oxidise, but boy, what a great finish. I still have to route the cables and harness neatly, that's why it looks a little untidy. I might also do the same with the top engine mounts.

Attachments

• WIN_20220304_15_00_09_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220304_15_00_09_Pro.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 117
  • WIN_20220304_15_00_54_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220304_15_00_54_Pro.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 118
  • WIN_20220304_16_26_32_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220304_16_26_32_Pro.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 121
Nope, not required, the points earth the coils intermittently. Come on ggGary, are you having a seniors moment?

Nope, not required, the points earth the coils intermittently. Come on ggGary, are you having a seniors moment?
Ah F it; Yamaha agrees with TH even on the single tower coils, the secondary and primary are tied internally.
points ign wiring diagram.JPG

:p

Last edited:
Will anodizing affect the bracket's ability to provide frame ground to the coil?
Actually, that's one of the problems when anodising. Whether using aluminium or titanium wire to hang the items in the acid, they too become a substrate for the oxidisation process thus interrupting the connection. You have to keep removing the anodising from where the substrate and wire connect.

Back