Another bike?

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just thinking about another bike. There’s a local guy selling a Honda CX650 (non turbo). Looks to be in nice shape. Not a resto job - just buy and ride. Anyone have any intel or experience with these bikes? The engine configuration is interesting. Picture for attention.
85510CA4-890D-4D95-AC1E-8647E5A44D00.jpeg

Good looking mount, not familiar with that particular model. They were the odd bird even for Honda but they ran well and were pretty reliable. They're a OHV push rod operated valves and not OHC overhead cam. Easy access and easy to adjust valve clearance with the heads sticking out that way. Shaft drive so no chains to adjust or oil to clean off suspension parts.
I'd say go for it if you're comfortable with the price

Actually, I have been looking at the same model down here in my area (not the same bike I'm sure).

My research has shown that the early Honda CX500 (1979-80 models) has timing chain tensioner issues (...sound familiar...?) but after that, they and the larger CX650s were very robust bikes that gave very little trouble. I think that they were commonly used in Europe as courier bikes and were reportedly unkillable.

The MUCH more powerful - but expensive and rare Turbo models (of both the CX500 and CX650) were also good bikes but they had much more complex engine control systems with EFI etc. and unique fairings that were very pretty but only came on the CX Turbo models - so I'd guess that engine and body parts could be quite the headache.

For the non-Turbo bikes, I'm not sure how the parts supply is these days. It might be a potential concern because, as pointed out above, the CX was an odd-bird for Honda and so things like engine parts were rather unique.

Anyhow - let me know what you find Bosco....

Peter

That's where I got mine, but most English bikes use 1 3/8" headpipes. You have to get what they call their "big bore" set, with 1.5" inlets. Unfortunately, I don't think they carry them anymore.

They are great looking but quite loud because they're basically straight through .....

Peashooter4.jpg

Peashooter2.jpg

I ended up adding baffles.

I’m always tinkering on my vintage motorcycles. Maybe I’m not a good mechanic? Could be. :umm: Plus 650’s just aren’t good on highways. At least where I live, speed limits aren’t what they used to be. Faster. What I’m getting at, I keep a more modern bike (bigger) for a daily. Ride it an hour a day to work and back. Ride my old shit around town, small commutes on weekends, or to shows. With gas prices, guy needs a motorcycle.

Last edited:
Very cool motor. 9500 or 10000 rpm on pushrods?

Yes - but these pushrods were little short things with a large diameter to defeat Euler buckling and they, and the rocker arms were very stout to withstand the high rpm operation that was typical of short-stroke Honda engines.

1645412202329.png

Apparently, the only real issue with the CX series was the timing chain tensioner and only in the first 1-2 years of the CX500 model. There was a big recall in <I think> 1980 and after that fix the bikes were fine and all the subsequent models were good too.

Pete

Back