Another bike?

Ok thanks. Can you see the leaking seal without any disassembly? Do you know how big of a job it is to replace the seal?
Look for weeping coolant at the back of the motor. Should be able to see it fairly easily. It’s a motor out job, but it’s an easy motor to drop as it makes up a section of the frame. Fighting crusty fasteners on the front hanger was the greatest challenge for me.
The support from the cx500 forum is invaluable, much like here. Very welcoming and helpful crowd.

Look for weeping coolant at the back of the motor. Should be able to see it fairly easily. It’s a motor out job, but it’s an easy motor to drop as it makes up a section of the frame. Fighting crusty fasteners on the front hanger was the greatest challenge for me.
The support from the cx500 forum is invaluable, much like here. Very welcoming and helpful crowd.
Thanks Anders.. now I can look at the bike with a bit of intelligence. I’ll try surfing the CX500 forum too.

edit: did a bit of surfing on the CX500 site. Looks like great support but I’m now wondering if this purchase will be one of those things I regret. I’m getting the feeling that parts are difficult to source and the engines may not be as “back yard” mechanic friendly as the XS. Will read more today / tonight.

Last edited:
I remember the Cycle press of the day being impressed with the performance of the 650 motor. The US got only the cruiser style and the US press of the day were enamored with the handling and speed of sport bikes.

Now THAT is encouraging news on the CX front!
Imagine a group of people as dedicated to a bike as we are to the XS650 despite its lack of a racing pedigree and frankly holding a repetition as a hard-on-eyes oddball. That must be love!…seriously though I found it a helpful place. As for the bikes being unfriendly to the backyard mechanic, I’m not so sure. They are quirky but I rather enjoyed my time with mine.

Agreed AndersJ. I have never owned a CX but they appear to be cleverly designed and well built (as one would expect from Honda) - BUT - they are very different from an air-cooled inline 1-4 or even 6 cylinder engine and so there is a fair bit more to look at / deal with than on something like an XS650.

Went to see the bike today. In the ad the seller stated it looks like it just came out of the showroom. Upon first glance he had clearly exaggerated the condition. Plastic was in decent shape, no battery so he couldn’t show it running, aluminum parts with clear coat had significant corrosion, gas tank clean, fasteners were corroded on wheels, original tires (14K km), frame had rusty areas. From his description and text messages I was expecting to see a 9.5/10 bike. I would rate it as a 6-7/10 at best. He also didn’t have any wiggle room in his price. He originally said it was certified but today he said it’s sold as is.

Bottom line is it’s not the bike for me because I wasn’t looking for another project. He said lots of people are coming to see it yet it’s been for sale for over 43 weeks.

Bosco, that is hilarious. He said lots of people are coming to see it but it's been for sale for 43 weeks! Some people...
Too bad he wasted your time by misrepresenting the bike but definitely sounds like you made the correct choice to walk away as he clearly was not coming from an honest position to begin with. Happy hunting for the 9.5/10 bike. You will find it :)

Back