Another dead cylinder problem.

roughneckwrencher

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have a 76 I've been slowly working on. I bought it in pieces. The po didn't know much about it other than it ran.
That being said. About a month ago I shot a little starting fluid in it and fire right up. So I started putting everything together.
It has an electronic ignition I'm not sure of the brand and a pma. New tank, petcocks filters. Custom strait exhaust.
I've put new vm34s from tc bros with pods. Checked the timing, valve lash and changed plugs 3 times now. Changed out 3 different coils. 1 was a low brow unknown. A tci original and a 4ohm harley style which seems to work best for easy starting

I'm at a loss.
The right side has spark but acts like it's out of time. It will run and idle 1st kick. Left pipe at head was around 300° and right side around 80°
I tried swapping the wires plug wires around on each of the coils. Right side is getting fuel I can smell it on the plug. Left side is burning well. Carbs are synced and properly adjusted including floats. It had 170 and 17.5 pilot and mains installed.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230108-153910_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230108-153910_Gallery.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220618_172307.jpg
    20220618_172307.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 53
OK so, I went out this morning a tore it all down. I have a pamco and from what i can tell a mikes pma. I'm going to completely reinstall and time it all just to be 100% sure its accurate. Anyone have a link to pamco instructions. I want to be sure I get it right. I've found the pma instruction manual.
Thanks Josh

The PAMCO ignition is no longer sold - the install is fairly uncomplicated and wiring is similar to the current XSCharge offerings (mechanical or E-advance). Here is an older discussion of the PAMCO that may yield some tips:
https://www.xs650.com/threads/boyer-and-pamco-ignition.46859/

Post back if you run into issues or have questions

Back