Another Last XS650

halfmile

XS Builder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I found this on FB last night. It had been on FB for 24 weeks with no takers. It does fire off with starting fluid sprayed in the carbs. No title and I didn`t even ask for a receipt. This won`t be my next tracker.:laughing:
286129936_3130902060557550_4288845498183605_n.jpg

I plan on taking it apart to see what`s salvageable, what`s sellable and what`s left?? I actually had nothing in mind for this when I bought it.:umm:

I have one exactly like it (same color even) with title that I bought over ten years ago that I swore I was gonna build a street tracker out of.

I've bought so many other project and collector 650's since then that I still haven't broke ground on that tracker project...yet.

I have been accumulating parts (lipped rims, CDI ignition, Mikuni VM 34 carbs, etc) for it as well over the years.

Bad thing is, I swore this was gonna be the winter I was going to do it...then found a couple of really nice, low mile matching 1980 650's that I need to resurrect....ugh, its a sickness I tell you. :rolleyes:

I`ve only been involved with XS650`s for about 8 years now but IMHO the XS650 is the perfect platform to base a build from. Whether it`s a cafe racer, tracker, restomod, board tracker, restoration, brat, chopper or just a collector-rider, these things make it easy go get out of control.:yikes:

Today I took the bike apart. Major improvement.:thumbsup: As rusty as this one was there is no rust or pits on the forks at all.:umm: Also the wiring harness has never been altered or spliced. The motor seems OK and there were no surprises when I drained the oil. Tomorrow I`ll cut the spokes and save the hubs, remove the swingarm and forks and call it done for now.
DSCN0374-001.JPGDSCN0375-001.JPGDSCN0376-001.JPGDSCN0378-001.JPGDSCN0379-001.JPGDSCN0380-001.JPGDSCN0381-001.JPG

The ad did not appear in the motorcycle section. When you typed in Yamaha XS650 it did not come up. It was somewhere in Marketplace and not in Classifieds. It came up in results outside your search area. My search area is 500 mi from Topeka, Manhattan is 45 mi from Topeka???:shrug:

Today I took the bike apart. Major improvement.:thumbsup: As rusty as this one was there is no rust or pits on the forks at all.:umm: Also the wiring harness has never been altered or spliced. The motor seems OK and there were no surprises when I drained the oil. Tomorrow I`ll cut the spokes and save the hubs, remove the swingarm and forks and call it done for now.
View attachment 230830View attachment 230831View attachment 230832View attachment 230834View attachment 230835View attachment 230836View attachment 230837

I think it looks as a candidate getting back to stock cannot see any dents even the saddle appears to be without holes.
The exhaust is sawed off .But all in all its there .Perhaps the rims are rusty ..
What is on the odometer ??

After a wash this can be a very good starting point.. Without much to do.. .Not even a repaint They are only stock once..

Zero cost even. Polish clean up bolt together enjoying the ride. More or less

Back