Another Parts Bike..

BluzPlayer

I wanna Rock n Roll All Night...
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Had this bike fall into my lap.
It's a 1999 Yamaha R6.
No title however the VIN did come back clear from the PD so I snagged it for 50.
Not much to it but the bones are still there.
I am considering using a few parts for my build from it.
I've noticed others have used R6 forks although there is certainly some effort required.
They are much beefier. I'll need to strip the bike before I can look into very deeply.
Any comments from those that have completed the conversion and how the end product performed,
as well as anything they may have done differently would be most welcome.
There are numerous approaches to this and I am a blank canvas.
Here is the only pic I have at the moment but I will share more later.
Screenshot_2021-03-29-19-33-10~2.png

You stole it!
May be the best, simplest, fork upgrade out there. BUT: Getting a spoke wheel in between the calipers is not likely.
fita.jpg
No ride experience yet... :mad:

You stole it!
May be the best, simplest, fork upgrade out there. BUT: Getting a spoke wheel in between the calipers is not likely.
View attachment 207169
No ride experience yet... :mad:
Hey gggGary.
I saw a little about your forks while reading @Bjorn's thread I believe it was. I'm certain I'll have a few questions after I strip the bike and get to looking at them. Bjorn's machinist skills are off the chain and unfortunately I have neither the equipment or the skills to do those kinds of things. I have a few thoughts on what is hopefully an easier way but I need to study it a bit. Perhaps then I can bounce some ideas off of you. I love the spoke look but most likely will be using the mags. Just simpler and saves me some dollar bills for other goodies. I am intending some trick powder coating on them though.

Been a bit busy lately with too many projects.
Spring has sprung so that means yard work.
Cutting branches, trimming plants. Burning them.
Fenceline needs repair. A stump right on 2 of the lines pushing over the fence making it more urgent. Dug up and cut out the biggest one with a little help from my neighbor. Rebuilt that section.
That was the finishing of repairs for that fenceline. Next it is on to the back fenceline with the smaller stump after having eliminated what seemed like a redwood. Lot of rain lately so on to more fun stuff. Been working on my new powdercoating oven as well. 4Wx5Hx2D.
About 40% done and coming along nicely.

Been looking at the Punisher frame and getting ready to start the Tripp Ascott TT style modifications I have set my mind on.
I am also planning to change the forks to these R6 forks from the donor bike I bought.
I've been wanting them handy but they were still on the bike soooo I made time to start taking it apart. I had already taken off the ecm and put it on ebay where it quickly sold for $100.
I only gave $50 for the bike.
Fortunately I put an elevator in my shop a few years ago to facilitate moving my wife's 40 totes of Christmas stuff and the 20 plus pieces of Halloween decorations upstairs in the 2nd floor attic. I designed it so I could remove the elevator platform and use it as a hoist as well.
Came in handy today.
Dropped the motor out of the R6.
I have the frame rehooked on the hoist to facilitate the fork and swingarm removal.
I'll set aside what I think I may want to use and at some point process the rest and sell it.
Until then the bike and parts are easier to store out of my way once it has been stripped.

Attachments

• 20220425_171002.jpg
    20220425_171002.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220425_172415.jpg
    20220425_172415.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 72
Been a bit busy lately with too many projects.
Spring has sprung so that means yard work.
Cutting branches, trimming plants. Burning them.
Fenceline needs repair. A stump right on 2 of the lines pushing over the fence making it more urgent. Dug up and cut out the biggest one with a little help from my neighbor. Rebuilt that section.
That was the finishing of repairs for that fenceline. Next it is on to the back fenceline with the smaller stump after having eliminated what seemed like a redwood. Lot of rain lately so on to more fun stuff. Been working on my new powdercoating oven as well. 4Wx5Hx2D.
About 40% done and coming along nicely.

Been looking at the Punisher frame and getting ready to start the Tripp Ascott TT style modifications I have set my mind on.
I am also planning to change the forks to these R6 forks from the donor bike I bought.
I've been wanting them handy but they were still on the bike soooo I made time to start taking it apart. I had already taken off the ecm and put it on ebay where it quickly sold for $100.
I only gave $50 for the bike.
Fortunately I put an elevator in my shop a few years ago to facilitate moving my wife's 40 totes of Christmas stuff and the 20 plus pieces of Halloween decorations upstairs in the 2nd floor attic. I designed it so I could remove the elevator platform and use it as a hoist as well.
Came in handy today.
Dropped the motor out of the R6.
I have the frame rehooked on the hoist to facilitate the fork and swingarm removal.
I'll set aside what I think I may want to use and at some point process the rest and sell it.
Until then the bike and parts are easier to store out of my way once it has been stripped.

I found this. An option if you're looking to make it super easy. Maybe a bit pricey to some, but for those of us without the ability or machines available (myself included) it's about as easy as it gets

https://cognitomoto.com/collections...650-frame-conversion-stem?variant=33367413709

@JesseeS
Awesome link.
Definitely an option for me.
I also have no cool toys to machine with and even if I did I am lacking the skills as well. I do have a 20 ton press so this looks like a solution.
Really appreciate the heads up.
Thanks

Back