Another reg/rec question

Northside

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

As stated wiring from scratch and having a charging issue. I have two plugs coming from my reg/rec.. From one plug I have three whites a black and a red, from a second smaller plug I have another white wire and a brown wire. I have the three whites going to the stator the black to ground and the red going to the key. Also had brown going to key and white leftover? I have nothing going to green brush wire coming from motor? Also no green in reg/rec to hook to. Any ideas? Thanks!

I'm not sure just what reg/rec you have. The early bikes, 70-79 used two separate units. A regulator and a rectifier.
The 80 up bikes used a solid state combo reg/rec.
A pic of yours might help.
Now the aftermarket makes combo reg/recs that work with both set ups.
The wires from your stator are the three whites, your reg/rec has three wires the same color often yellow. Yes, these hook together. One to each, no particular order.
Now depending on who made your reg/rec the other color wires are not a direct hookup to your bike.
The one Mike's sells the green wire from the reg/rec is ground. hooks to the black wire in the harness.
The Orange wire goes to the green harness wire.
The Blue to the brown harness wire.
You also have to ground the case.
I don't know who made your reg/rec so this color code may not apply.
You might want to look closer at your reg/rec at the wires just to be sure of the colors.
Leo

Sorry for not saying it is a 78. I also believe the reg/rec i have may be a chinese knock off. Came with no diagram

You may need to contact those people for a diagram of some sort. The rectifier portion is pretty clear and worked the same on all 650s. The problem is the regulator portion. That changed between points model 650s and the later electronic ignition models. You may have the later style regulator there. Their eBay listing doesn't say which type it is, only that it fits 650 Yamahas. That's only partly true. It will only work on some.

The way I understand it, the points model regulator switches power on and off to the brushes through the green wire. The later electronic ignition regulator switches the ground on and off to the brushes. Your new unit may be this later type. Like I said, I think you need to find out from the seller just what type you have, also what those two wires from the regulator portion are.

Ok, thanks for the reply. That being said, any suggestions where to get another regulator rectifier with an accurate wiring diagram for my 78. Rather not struggle with this one. May have already fried it:banghead:

Back