Another regulator/rectifier question...

Duck749

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so, I am in the reassembly process of the '78 XS650 Special. I ordered a new wiring harness from MikeXS so I didn't have to deal with the rat ness that was in the bike. There are a couple questions as I am not sure what I have and what I need. The wiring is going well and most connections are good. After doing a lot of reading I know I have a separate regulator and the rectifier which mounts under the battery box. My concern is the condition of the rectifier and what to do for a replacement, here is picture:

0915AFE8-43B1-421B-966E-C63F1FBF0FFA_zpsnprdmafw.jpg

My concern is the condition which begs question what do I do from here. I have what I believe to be an XSCharge PMA on the bike. I am confused because install directions say it comes with red/green/black wires and mine only has red/green. On top of this MikesXS description online makes it sound like I know longer need regulator/rectifier but forums say I do. I plan to run with the battery and believe I have stock point system, another picture:

3311B7FA-398B-4A2E-B5E6-02ACCD9F3736_zpsqdmsk49u.jpg

I believe I have to keep the regulator/rectifier? Assuming this is correct, my best option is either (1) the standard 115 replacement found on forums that is one unit regulator/rectifier or (2) MikeXS option which requires lead swap in wiring harness to work with his rectifier part - correct?

If you have a PMA then neither the stock rectifier or regulator will work with it. It requires a different type of reg/rec. So, before you start buying replacements you'll need to positively identify the charging system you have, stock or a PMA. A look under the round cover on the lower left engine cover will tell you what you've got. This would be a stock '78 set-up .....

BzlvmLV.jpg

In the thread is a picture of the PMA that I have, not sure exactly how to tell the manufacturer of it? I am glad I am asking because install instructions I found online for the XSCharge system don't say to remove yet they also say regulator/rectifier not required. Let me know if additional pictures would help to identify it. There are 2 or 3 yellow wires coming out of the engine.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/tdc-on-78-special.51113/

So looking at wiring diagram and other forum info, it looks as if I leave existing (OEM) rectifier and regulator disconnected. I see some common wires are grounded or connected in other locations. However on wire diagram there is a brown wire from regulator to one side of rear brake switch, in the clay ear manual the wiring diagram has the brown in different connections. I can trace these through but is upgrading to PMA as easy as just unplugging rectifier and regulator and it's done? All install instructions I see says nothing about how to handle existing components. Since there not getting power or signal I guess it doesn't matter plugged or unplugged?

You unplug and remove the stock reg and rec, replacing them with the PMA reg/rec that should have come with the PMA. You still need a reg and rec with a PMA but the reg portion at least is different than the original so must be replaced. As I said, a PMA usually comes with the required reg/rec replacement unit.

Back