Another Ride, Another Push

I never found it a big emergency to get switched to reserve. Over the years Old Brown one lunged it quite a bit including most of the way around the much missed Texas World Speedway.

I like Gary's idea of lengthening the left pickup tube and I think Old Brown will get that mod. Pretty easy with a bit of hobby shop brass tubing. Thanks Gary, good plan.

His problem wasn't the amount of reserve he has, it was the amount he thought he had. Now he knows better.
My odometer is normally my fuel gauge. If I happen to go on reserve it drops 1 cylinder telling me it's running out of fuel. I switch 1 side to reserve and start looking for a fuel station. If I need to go to the other side I get nerves. My BMr and XS2 work the same.

On my two petcock tanks, I do the one side on reserve thing too. But, it came back to bite me once on one of my old BMWs. I got about 10 or 15 miles on the one reserve and figured I had about the same left on the other. Nope, in a mile or so, I was out, lol. Luckily I was pretty close to home and riding with a buddy. He took me home to grab a gas can and things were all good. So now, even though I still just turn one side to reserve, when it happens I'm getting gas a.s.a.p.

I ride an XS11 and XS650. XS11 reserve is 0.7 gal. XS650 reserve is 0.3 gal. On Saturday, I ran the 650 down to the bowls. Fill up was 3 gal. I had the bottle with me, so I was not cautious about running dry.

Back