Another XS650 in Boston

Mirror's? We don't need no stinkin' mirror's! I put some Harley mirror's on mine, and those do not vibrate half as much as the stock one's did. Expensive though, $40 each.

Long time- No update's.

Put almost 400 miles on the bike in the summer of 2012 before shipping out to Afghanistan. Which is where I sit while writing this.

Ordered a few new parts while I've been gone:
Hand grips / Superbike Pattern Gel
Monza shocks 12 3/4" Black body
Magura 13mm master cylinder
Brake pads F+R
4 aftermarket Black/ Amber turn signals.
---
Still looking to buy:
Tail light
Cafe type seat
Exhaust set up
Front fender or take a bandsaw to the one I have
Maybe a Swing-arm brace and Beauty plates.
I'm sure there is a few hundred dollars of other stuff too that im forgetting.

I also had my carbs shipped out to Rick at Oldskool carbs. Cant wait to see those things when I get back.

Also cant wait to get back to the states and ride again.

I found a motor on Craigslist for 100 bucks. I had a friend pick it up for me and store it. I have no idea if is any good until I get home. The P.O. tore it down to rebuild it and lost interest he said.

full

full

A BIG plus+ on thank you for your service and come home safe! Looks like a good deal, pretty much all there from what I can see. I saw that Mike's had their cafe seat on sale a couple month's ago, don't know if they still are. I also have the Monza shock's, work ok, not bad for the price, and MUCH better than the stock shock's.
I find fenders on e-bay all the time. The thin (narrow) fiberglass one's look real good, and do keep alot of road debris from hitting you, esp. water.

Thanks guys. Ive been doing this for the past 12 years I just wish I would go somewhere nice just once. lol

I cant tell 100% from the pictures but I think i see 2 sets of carbs in the boxes. If there is maybe I could resell for parts.

Just read through the thread. Great story! Never mind "barn finds". We now have a new category...shed finds! :thumbsup:

Take care of your self and get home safely. We are all looking forward to the next installment.

Ordered a few new item's

4 x Turn signals - ebay -
1 x Grips-Superbike Pattern Gel Type-black (02-2482) $11.00
1 x Monza Spt Shocks 12 3/4" Blk body (06-3647) $79.00
1 x Magura 13mm Master Cylinder (08-0253) $102.00
2 x Brake Pad Set(2) 77-84 Front & Rear (29-3522) $33.00
1 x Damper bolt sealing Washers (Pk/2) $1.50
1 x Steering Stem Bolt & Washer Set $9.00
1 x Clip - Fork Seal 77-84 35mm. (Pk2) $4.50
1 x Fork Damper Socket Screw Driver Bit $6.50
1 x 77-84 Fork Tube Caps O-Rings - Pk/2 $2.50
1 x Damper retaining bolts (Pk/2) $4.50
1 x Washer - Fork Seal 77-84 35mm. (Pk2) $4.50
1 x Bushing - (Swing Arm Bolt Tube) $28.50
2 x Grease Fitting - swing arm bolt $4.00
1 x Swing Arm Grease Seal - (Set/2) $15.50
1 x Brake shim kit $5.00
1 x Bronze Swing Arm Bushing Set(2) $30.00
1 x Fork Seal Set (2) 77-84 XS650's $11.00
1 x Steering Stem Tapered Bearing Kit $43.00

Just about 2 months before I get back home. I have some family stuff to do. (Vacation, fix stuff around the house, Buy new cloths, I lost 30lbs while away from home cooking).

Then parts are coming off so I can blast them, Drill some rotors, Rewire, maybe run wires inside handlebars, fiberglass a seat, cut up some fenders, Install all the parts above.

Also bought a Trail-tech Vapor with dash to give it a cleaner modern look.

As for the second motor I have if its in good shape and correct year the crank and cam are going to Hugh's hand built for a rephase.

Maybe I'll have that motor done by next spring.

Do you feel that there is a pretty noticable difference after the rephase and 750 kit? I am talking about speed wise, sound wise. That type of thing. I am thinking about it while I am working on my build, but I have not yet decided whether or not it is worth the money it takes. It seems like it would be awesome though.

Thanks!

sound is completely different. Seems faster but then again I just finished the motor and had not rode since last summer on the old motor. All and all I'm happy with it, Still need to work out what I think is carb trouble. Maybe i need bigger jets or just tune / sync them

I could also use a new exhaust. I think the 36 year old mufflers are toast.

Back