Any Harley guys here?

Just remember, there is an ass for every seat. Things you might easily toss in the bin could potentially be some extra money in your pocket. I knew that factory sheet metal would be valuable. Just think what it costs to have a full paint job done. It ain't cheap!

The 'Enblackening' has begun in earnest...
20240517_214304.jpg

20240517_214131.jpg

20240517_214041.jpg

20240517_214343.jpg

20240518_153712.jpg
20240518_210018.jpg

I still haven't actually ridden it yet. I hope I like it! 🤣

Have never been a Harley fan .. growing up with " bowling pin " years. Then in 87' they entere4d the 21st century with a new motor and you could leave town... and return. Problem is they're overpriced.. overweight... But I always had a soft spot for a 45 flathead. Classic lines.... so, for my 65th birthday I bought the black one... great bike... cruises at 55.... I also wanted one in Military Police trim.... and found a Wla in olive drab at the Sturgis Museum going on ebay. I was offered the bike before it was posted. Once home I decked it out in MP with ref lights and a siren... These are great bikes... reliable... not interstate reliable ..... easy to maintain... parts,,, even NOS parts.... abound .... 😎

Attachments

• HD Vik show.jpg
    HD Vik show.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Harley billboard.jpg
    Harley billboard.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 18
The thing that pisses me off is that H-D sent out the twin cam with a POS cam chain tensioner and POS tensioner shoes that would last 30-40K then totally fail and ruin the engine. It took them until 2006 to figure this out? Harley loves to let the folks who buy their products do their durability studies for them. Don't get me wrong, I love my Road King, and I fixed the aforementioned tensioner problem before it was a problem with a Fueling hydraulic tensioner and upgraded cam bearings and has 74K on it and is as reliable as a rock.
I've changed my inner and outer tensioners on my 2002 Road King twice already.

Once at around 32,000 and again around 63,000ish. They were definitely getting down there. I bought all the special tools to do it so its really not that difficult.

Hardest part is having to take the top rocker boxes off to get the pushrods outta the way.

Once at around 32,000 and again around 63,000ish. They were definitely getting down there. I bought all the special tools to do it so its really not that difficult.

Hardest part is having to take the top rocker boxes off to get the pushrods outta the way.
What kind of tensioners did you put in? Why not use the adjustable push rods?

Why don’t you modify them? Is it cost prohibitive?

What kind of tensioners did you put in? Why not use the adjustable push rods?
I dunno, just didnt feel like cutting the stock ones out and messing with the Screamin Eagle adjustables at the time(s). Not really that difficult every 32,000 miles or so.

I did do the cam bearing upgrade the first time around though.

Last edited:
Why don’t you modify them? Is it cost prohibitive?
When I did it the hydraulic ones werent really a time proven upgrade yet, so I just went with what I knew would work another 32,000 miles for certain.

I thought about going with the gear driven set up but they arent cheap and you have to concern yourself with having just the right amount of end play, etc. so I didn't go that route either.

I dunno, just didnt feel like cutting the stock ones out and messing with the Screamin Eagle adjustables at the time(s). Not really that difficult every 32,000 miles or so.

I did do the cam bearing upgrade the first time around though.
Mine is an '05 Road King. I went with the Fueling hydraulic tensioners. IIRC, I upgraded the oil pump, tensioners,cam chest, bearings and adjuststable bush rods/2 piece tubes. I have over 45K on those parts and not a single issue. Been told that the Fueling parts (shoes) last 70k-100k. Also had the Screaming Eagle cams that the P.O. installed, swapped out for some S&S cams that perform in an RPM range where most people ride. The P.O. had the Harley stealer... I mean dealer, put in cams that had no low end or mid range. Now if the missus comes along, I'm not as hesitant to pass or pull out into traffic. Glad what you're doing works for you.

Mine is an '05 Road King. I went with the Fueling hydraulic tensioners. IIRC, I upgraded the oil pump, tensioners,cam chest, bearings and adjuststable bush rods/2 piece tubes. I have over 45K on those parts and not a single issue. Been told that the Fueling parts (shoes) last 70k-100k. Also had the Screaming Eagle cams that the P.O. installed, swapped out for some S&S cams that perform in an RPM range where most people ride. The P.O. had the Harley stealer... I mean dealer, put in cams that had no low end or mid range. Now if the missus comes along, I'm not as hesitant to pass or pull out into traffic. Glad what you're doing works for you.
Well, its worked so far anyways.

Hopefully Harley hasnt discontinued the OEM style tensioner shoes when I get ready to do it again here at 92,000ish miles? That would be my luck... :laugh:

I had an ‘04 Heritage and instead of upgrading the guides I upgraded the bike lol. I went to an ‘08 with the hydraulic guides so no worries. I’ve got tru-duals, high volume air cleaner and FP3 tuner. It runs great however the wife decided she wanted a new SG with the M8 motor. I attribute that motor to her deciding she didn’t want to ride anymore. When you twisted the throttle on that bike it would go! It was a hard decision as to which bike to keep when it came time to let one go.61383640243__A3A8300C-3413-4EB2-8A48-1A7EADFA0B1A.jpegIMG_3689.jpeg

Well, its worked so far anyways.

Hopefully Harley hasnt discontinued the OEM style tensioner shoes when I get ready to do it again here at 92,000ish miles? That would be my luck... :laugh:
From what I've been told, it wasn't just the excessive spring pressure that killed those shoes, it was also the material. If H-D discontinues them, check with S&S or Fueling.

Well, I went with the Evo.
I looked at the twink & honestly, it was much ropier in person than in the pics. His opening line was that he'd "take four grand"

Hard pass.

The evo is just as nice in person as it is in the pics. Maybe better. 2 owners from new (father, then his 50 year old son) & other than the tassels & a few shiny bits, it hasn't been fooled with at all. No air cleaner, no pipes, cams no nothing. Not a screaming chicken in sight. Starts up nicely, shifts clean, finds neutral & there are zero rattles, knocks or hitches.
He took an even 5 grand & I'm picking it up on Saturday!
Congrats! The Evo was my thought as I have always heard good things about that engine. My only Harley so far was a 2004 1200R Sportster, and simpler seems better to me these days, as far as motorcycles are concerned. I'm keen to see the photos.

Back