Any single malt fans here?

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Need to pick up a bottle for a picky drinker that did me a big favor.
tumblr_op2jr06Hqq1rflnceo8_r1_250.gif

As my late Grandmother (Eilish O'Shaunessy) used to say, only Heathens and men who wear skirts, drink a whiskey without a letter "E" in it
Your Grandmother, rip, was wrong. I have had this conversation a number of time with my Irish pilot friend. Usually over a glass of Black Bush.

I like a good malt whisky and of course all the best malts are distilled in Scotland. Or so I used to believe - but I have tasted Japanese malts which are just unbelievable, in flavour, complexity and price.

Sorry, gggGary, wish I could give a simple answer but if the recipient is a picky drinker, he will probably have strong preferences - can you find out what sort of malts he drinks? Speyside, Highland, Lowland or Island? They are quite different in character, for example, the island malts usually have a very distinctive peaty flavour which many people find disagreeable but Islay fans in particular absolutely love.

If your man does like Island malts, you could do worse than Bowmore - less well-known than Laphroig but very fresh taste with depth and subtlety and good value too. Personally, although I appreciate peaty malts, my favourite Island malt is the sweet Bunnahabain.

For a Speyside whisky, I would second Bosco's recommendation of the Balvenie. And also his suggestion of the Macallan for a Highland whisky.

Macallan has used it's market position to develop an extensive range to suit all pockets, from expensive upwards. TBH most people would be pushed to recognise the difference between a good 12 year-old and one of the far more expensive options. There are so many Highland malts to choose from, and I haven't tasted very many but I do remember enjoying the Aberlour.

But for the off the wall choice consider a Lowland malt, Auchentoshan - I love it, a warm and welcoming dram.

However, if your man puts anything other than a drop of water in his whisky - okay, we'll allow an ice cube - buy him (or her) a decent blend such as Ballantines.

Need to pick up a bottle for a picky drinker that did me a big favor.
tumblr_op2jr06Hqq1rflnceo8_r1_250.gif
04650011.jpg

Not a single malt.................however I classify it as a "Single Mutt" A BSA 441 chopper I built in high school.

I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis. It only took one martini to make me drunk. The trouble is I couldn't remember if it was the 4th or 5th martini. My drinking privileges were withdrawn several years ago. All Good. (mostly)

I won't pretend to know near as much as @Raymond about them, but I do consider myself as much of a connoisseur as my income and geographical location afford me to be... I enjoy them all but always seem to gravitate back to Laphroaig or Lagavulin which are both Islay scotches. I also really like Balvenie which is a Spayside. Its really hard to go wrong with any good scotch though.

Last edited:
It would be best to know what your friend likes. I have a friend I’ve been sharing Scotch with for 40 years. He doesn’t like peat. I do. As mentioned, a good peated whisky is Laphroaig. It is very good value, as in very good and won’t break the bank. On the other end of the spectrum, I second the Auchentoshan nomination. It’s lovely stuff.
I will also give a strong nod to Balvenie, Double Wood is a favorite of mine.
My Highland choice is Dalwinnie. Wonderful.

I can not say I spelled all those correctly, but my spelling will get you there. I’ve seconded from each region and added one. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Your Grandmother, rip, was wrong. I have had this conversation a number of time with my Irish pilot friend. Usually over a glass of Black Bush.

I like a good malt whisky and of course all the best malts are distilled in Scotland. Or so I used to believe - but I have tasted Japanese malts which are just unbelievable, in flavour, complexity and price.

Sorry, gggGary, wish I could give a simple answer but if the recipient is a picky drinker, he will probably have strong preferences - can you find out what sort of malts he drinks? Speyside, Highland, Lowland or Island? They are quite different in character, for example, the island malts usually have a very distinctive peaty flavour which many people find disagreeable but Islay fans in particular absolutely love.

If your man does like Island malts, you could do worse than Bowmore - less well-known than Laphroig but very fresh taste with depth and subtlety and good value too. Personally, although I appreciate peaty malts, my favourite Island malt is the sweet Bunnahabain.

For a Speyside whisky, I would second Bosco's recommendation of the Balvenie. And also his suggestion of the Macallan for a Highland whisky.

Macallan has used it's market position to develop an extensive range to suit all pockets, from expensive upwards. TBH most people would be pushed to recognise the difference between a good 12 year-old and one of the far more expensive options. There are so many Highland malts to choose from, and I haven't tasted very many but I do remember enjoying the Aberlour.

But for the off the wall choice consider a Lowland malt, Auchentoshan - I love it, a warm and welcoming dram.

However, if your man puts anything other than a drop of water in his whisky - okay, we'll allow an ice cube - buy him (or her) a decent blend such as Ballantines.
Raymond, she would of found it funny that a Border Reiver has an opinion that whisky is better than whiskey ;), of course I am unbiased so my opinion any views on whiskey or whisky are totally subjective

Raymond, she would of found it funny that a Border Reiver has an opinion that whisky is better than whiskey ;), of course I am unbiased so my opinion any views on whiskey or whisky are totally subjective
That's for sure. I believe whisky choice is far more subjective than tires or engine oil.

@gggGary, any of those listed thus far, as a gift will show a strong appreciation of the favor you received. I'll also add that you need not let your choice be driven by the price on the bottle. More money doesn't always mean better. You might find Auchentoshan at $40 as an example.

Leslie, you have noticed that I live in the Scottish Borders but only since the age of two. I am in fact English - a fact I was never allowed to forget in Primary school. But as you say, all opinions on the subject are and must remain forever subjective.

That's for sure. I believe whisky choice is far more subjective than tires or engine oil.
Oh no, shurely this won't end up like an oil thread?

'Fraid my palate is still too immature for single malts. I've tried some, and I prefer the blends. I haven't acquired a taste for bourbon either, but everything else is fair game! I've talked to friends about this liquor, that liquor, and they always ask "oh, do you like (fill in the blank)?"
...guess I just like alcohol, in its many forms... So many flavors, so little time... 🤪

What Raymond said. I prefer the peaty Islays, for the record. You have asked a question which has at least a hundred answers gggGary. I would stay away from the heavily peated single malts if you're uncertain of the person's tastes.
I enjoyed a glass of this one this evening. They are all too delicious.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220427-214036_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220427-214036_Chrome.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 38
Back