Anyone ever own a BSA?

View attachment 203011 View attachment 203012 View attachment 203013 View attachment 203014 Scored this beauty.... in the ruff.... off a regional auction.... 224 miles from my door... between the cost... fees.. always fees.. gas... coffee and my fig newtons.. $480.oo... All the auction guys would say... found in grandma's garage.... last plated 79'.... one thing the auction listing seemed to " forget "... engine doesn't turn over. A visit to the car wash removed most of the grud .... I have a 40's M-20... 90% complete....sitting ..waiting .... my buddy who knows BSA twins.... and all their faults... said... he'd rebuild my engine.. split the cases and address the known crank bushing.... for the M-20.... :)

Twin carb head, looks like late 60's 650 Lightning

Noticed the Honda 350, looks nice. Seen launch videos for India, seems to be a natural rival to the RE Meteor. The vid Pete put up is filmed in Columbia, but AFAIK not coming to Britain.

I suspect that we will see a veritable flood of these relatively low-powered, simple and inexpensive "retro" bikes coming out.

I think that the J-4 and other manufacturers have been completely bowled-over by the incredible sales of Royal Enfield who seemed to have come out of nowhere to virtually take over the mid-sized market with their 650 twin models and more recently, the big singles.

The fact is that the R-E 650cc twins are really nice bikes - and they are selling like hotcakes in most markets because they are cheap, simple to tune and repair, powerful enough for travelling and they are nice to ride without pain for the over-50 age group (i.e. the people with money and memories of simpler bikes and times....).

If you don't believe me about the last point, - just try sitting on a CBxxxxRRRRRR (too many frickin' "R"s), Ninja, GSXxxxxRRRRR...whateverthef@ck bike and get your feet on the pegs. THEN ask your pretty pillion to sit on the back and try to get HER feet on the pegs....[prepare for a verbal assault and a two-week withdrawal of services].

Clearly, the R-E's and other "retro's" are the bikes that people really want to buy these days - and one thing the J-4 are not - is stupid. It may have taken them a little while to get their offerings on the market, but I am certain they are coming soon and the bikes will be terrific value and superbly reliable rides.

But of course, we all ride Yamaha XS650s - so we knew all of that some years ago - didn't we?

Pete

Last edited:
Aw Pete, you're speaking to my Pirate side "RRRRRRRRRR" :laughing:
Actually the rear perch of a sportbike has more in common with a Gynecologists exam table than a seat

Agree RC4MAN - and how many ladies of a certain age could fit comfortably and safely onto one of those postage stamps-with-stirrups?

I do not want to take my granddaughters for a ride....

they are nice to ride without pain for the over-50 age group (i.e. the people with money and memories of simpler bikes and times....).

I’ll tell you the other thing that keeps me drawn to basic little twins and singles, weight! Years ago when Indian was first hitting the market, I went to a demo ride event and ride a new Chief. OMG was that thing heavy, it was so hard to move at low speed and it felt like if you let it tilt a little off center it would get away from you really quick and fall over. And God help you if you ever parked that thing head first in an , ever so slightly, sloped parking spot, you’d never get it turned around.

I’ll tell you the other thing that keeps me drawn to basic little twins and singles, weight! Years ago when Indian was first hitting the market, I went to a demo ride event and ride a new Chief. OMG was that thing heavy, it was so hard to move at low speed and it felt like if you let it tilt a little off center it would get away from you really quick and fall over. And God help you if you ever parked that thing head first in an , ever so slightly, sloped parking spot, you’d never get it turned around.

....and THAT is why I got rid of my beloved Honda ST1300 a couple of years ago.

It really was a superb bike and the best tourer I have found. It pulled like a locomotive, was a fast and steady handling bike with ABS, a shaft drive, fantastic range (just under 30 litres of fuel) and rock-solid reliability - BUT it weighed 730 lbs, it was tall and it didn't have reverse.

In contrast, my 1983 R100RS is 502 lbs, it has nearly the same range on 23 litres of fuel plus it also has a shaft drive, though it is still a tad tall and it doesn't have reverse. However, I can back it up a slight slope and it wouldn't kill me to pick it up should it have a lie-down at low speed. In addition, setting valves is even easier on the Bimmer than it is on an XS650 and the thing is a really neat ride with amazingly good wind and rain protection.

Pete

4964B951-F1DC-4CE7-B3B6-0084060188FA.jpeg
Triumph TR6 Trophy. Compared to my XS it’s like a push bike.

Aw Pete, you're speaking to my Pirate side "RRRRRRRRRR" :laughing:
Actually the rear perch of a sportbike has more in common with a Gynecologists exam table than a seat

Hi RC4MAN,
that's just about what my new bride said about my XS650 seat's pillion portion.
One of the reasons I put a sidecar on it.

Back in the very early 70s I had a 68 Lightning. It was an ok bike, but not as quick as my previous 650 Triumphs. And that was the problem, the need for speed. DSC00220.JPG As for heavy bikes, not now, as I approach 71, everything hurts too much, and don't have the strength anymore. Had an xs850 triple for a few years, too heavy, and a guy in the neighborhood want to buy it. Sold. Discovered smaller bikes, and now a Honda gb500 has become my go to bike of choice. But with that comes the cramped riding position, so after an hour got to get off and stretch out. My xs650 sits and watches, waiting for its turn for a run. Kick only high comp, not easy anymore. But when I'm out on her, the smile on my face says it all. Just like I was 20yrs old again. All good stuff.

We're all reaching that point in life where we start to think more about practicality. My V-Rod weighs every bit bit of 650+ as I have it kitted with bags etc.
I park it carefully so as not to have to back it out of much of an incline and have been thinking about a lighter more nimble bike for most riding, that new Triumph 660 kind of whispers to me.
Never sell the Rod though, late wife bought it new for my 50th B'day in 2004. May one day leave it to her only grandson but never sell it.

IMG_20201107_162318142_HDR.jpg

it wouldn't kill me to pick it up should it have a lie-down at low speed.
Pete it's a handful to pickup from it's side. Especially if the tank is full. I haven't had to pick mine up in 20 some years. I don't want to do it again.
Come to think of it I'd rather not pick my XS2 up.

Back