Anyone got a Pamco pickup module?

jetskijerry

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got one of the red Powerspark pickup modules from a Pamco ignition system....or know where I can get one? My bike has lost spark on one cylinder and I have worked out it's one of the modules. None of the normal suppliers seem to know which module and say that although they all look the same and are in widespread use, they are all slightly different. I can see a difference for +ve and -ve earth and maybe for higher/lower resistance coils but what else would you need? I don't really want to buy a complete Pamco kit if I can buy a single Powerspark module. Any ideas guys an' gals?

pamco never had a red pickup..........Maybe something that someone called a pamco....pic would help
I beg to differ. See photo. Pamcopete ign didn't have red pickup but original Pamco had two.

Attachments

• Pamco XS650 277 degree rephased ignition.jpg
    Pamco XS650 277 degree rephased ignition.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 204
E8C74788-4221-4EF9-AFA3-8969AA88FC05.png
The red modules in your picture look the same as Powerspark modules. Readily available in UK. The module is triggered by a magnet in the Black plastic ring, same as yours is triggered by a magnet in the aluminium rotor.

View attachment 184637 The red modules in your picture look the same as Powerspark modules. Readily available in UK. The module is triggered by a magnet in the Black plastic ring, same as yours is triggered by a magnet in the aluminium rotor.
I have been speaking to Simon whose company distributes all these Powerspark kits and apparently there are a number of different modules that although they are physically identical have differences in the trigger position. Has anyone used one of these kits successfully.....and if so which one?

I used one specially for a Royal Enfield, but after initial good results it prove impossible to kickstart, seems the rotor will not fire the system if it’s not spinning fast enough. OK on a car I assume, the unit still works but you have to spin it faster.
My recommendation is Boyer. Also the Trytronic system seems good.
Vape ignition marketed by Wassell is similar to a Boyer but cheaper, you would have to adapt it to fit in the points housing as the are designed for Triumph BSA bikes.

Thanks Jim...........I wanted him to do some reading...........and besides i have been eying up that hat for a while now......bit of garlic and a couple of olives.........mmmmm

As i said the other day. Pamco is not a protected name so these MikesXS/XSperformance parts still used and sold under the pamco name, that uses the reputation of the original pamco manufacturer, gets buyers to buy a non warranted electrical part that has no relation to that reputation

This is a 277 re-phase with 2 Pamco boards.........original Pamco has a single board on the plate

14-0998.jpg

Thanks Jim...........I wanted him to do some reading...........and besides i have been eying up that hat for a while now......bit of garlic and a couple of olives.........mmmmm

As i said the other day. Pamco is not a protected name so these MikesXS/XSperformance parts still used and sold under the pamco name, that uses the reputation of the original pamco manufacturer, gets buyers to buy a non warranted electrical part that has no relation to that reputation

This is a 277 re-phase with 2 Pamco boards.........original Pamco has a single board on the plate

14-0998.jpg
OK, I stand corrected if the 'Pamco' I posted a picture of is a later knock-off. But is being called a Pamco and does have the two red Powerspark trigger modules. I just need to acquire one good module to have a fully working ignition system. The Powerspark guy in UK supplies conversion kits for numerous classic cars and insists that the modules are not all the same on all of the kits.(to me, as an engineer, it doesn't make sense to make different modules, without any markings I should add, and also make different backplates for each application.) I am loathe to shell out good money and find that the timing is way out with the new module (if it works at all that is). I was hoping that someone on the site may have suffered the same problem and either have one good trigger or have used the Powerspark modules from a kit like one posted by Rasputin.

Only place I can find them still being sold is Heiden Tuning in the Netherlands. They seem a bit loathe to respond to any contact attempts!!

Only place I can find them still being sold is Heiden Tuning in the Netherlands. They seem a bit loathe to respond to any contact attempts!!

As a matter of fact I also had that experience I bought parts one time. Because the usual supplier i use had a 2 week vacation so I thought why not try another
seller ... might work that also ... For once saving 2 weeks
And it did not work.
It was a Shift shaft assembly that was slightly bent at the Business end. Not at right angle toward each other pointing a bit outwards.
so it would not shift.
I have no problems with if things go wrong that can happen ...But I then expect some cooperation in finding a solution..
At least an answer
I could start adjusting it in vices and with hammer blows but before i do that it is good practice to speak to the seller .He never answered at all .
So I did that straightening it .But he lost a customer .. Fumble at first attempt.. Substandard Product and No Answers.
The " Shipping sh*t and disappearing " business .. mentality. .
The regular supplier is Honest Quick and Gives support For many years perhaps 20 years .. without mistakes

I finally got an email reply from Heiden Tuning having asked if they could supply one red pick-up module. The reply just gave a price for the backplate plus both modules and the rotor!

Back