anyone help id this bike (year model)

jimmy5090

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am going to look at this bike on Friday hopefully to purchase. The owner cannot get me the vin at the moment.
xs1.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to see details in that small pic but from what I can see ..... chrome headlight bucket & instrument pods, rototiller bars, tank w/ offset cap, and headlight ears w/ arms sticking straight out say a Special. That means it's '78 or newer. Can't see the carb tops well enough to tell if they're alloy or chrome steel. Alloy would be '78-'79, chrome steel '80 or newer. Thing is, any of these parts could have been swapped on.

Hard to see details in that small pic but from what I can see ..... chrome headlight bucket & instrument pods, rototiller bars, tank w/ offset cap, and headlight ears w/ arms sticking straight out say a Special. That means it's '78 or newer. Can't see the carb tops well enough to tell if they're alloy or chrome steel. Alloy would be '78-'79, chrome steel '80 or newer. Thing is, any of these parts could have been swapped on.

I agree, but the seat looks like a standard and not a special.

WOW I am impressed with everyones knowledge on this site. I have been researching xs650's for 6 months and I am so ready to start this project. Hopefully this bike isnt a huge piece. He is throwing in a ton of parts plus extra frame and wheels.

Again, small pic, but the bars look a little tall in it to be stock special bars to me.

BTW, the title of the pic is xs1.jpg, folks.

Yeah the picture sucks. It was taking with his phone. As far as the xs1.jpg is just from me loading it to photobucket. Thanks again for the info

It looks to me like it may have had the rectangle reflectors up front. They used the smaller round on the earlier Specials?
Along with the longer/taller shroud on the rear shock for that f*&k ugly reflector.

THe wheels mean '78 or later Special if they're original to the bike.

Its year will be on its title....it does have a title, doesn't it?

It has a title, the owner has been out of town and all he had was the pictures. I just didnt have the patience to wait till friday to find out so I figured I would bug you guys. I can't wait to get this build started.

In that condition, with the extra parts and the title matches one of the frames. It might be a good deal if the seller is asking not to bad a price.

speaking of price, I would offer 200-250 because it has a title, 100 if no title.

Back