Anyone near Raleigh NC do carb work?

SpoogeMCMM

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Been going full throttle on trying to finish up my build, and 6yrs back I had someone go over my carbs and get them all cleaned and tuned up and got them on and they ran right away. But since then I let the bike sit, and now I am finally trying to get it back going and finally ride it. Wondering if anyone may be local to me (Clayton, NC) and has some experience with rebuilding these carbs. The motor is a 78 650, but I've got two sets of bs38s, and two sets of bs34s. I am more than willing to trade or pay for the help. Just about at my wits end.

One set of the 38s, which ran half a dozen years ago, one of the carbs just lets fuel flow right through, likely the float is set all jacked up, or the needle and seat are giving issues. I connected a hose and gravity fed the carb, and it does one of two things depending on the float adjustment. Either the bowl will not get any fuel into it, or it will overflow and run right out the back of the carb.

So I tried a set of the 34s, and it keeps seeming to be leaking fuel from the fuel T between the carbs, but it may be somewhere else. I can't tell.

Currently the bike is set up with a TV bros hardtail. Pma. Pamco. Kick only. No battery, using a Sparx capacitor. Not sure what other info to put to help. Please I welcome questions and advice. Been a while since I've been on here, but you guys are the experts, and have already helped me a ton.

Rick West at OldSkoolCarbs in Rock Hill, SC does amazing things with carbs. He’s got an add in the SHOPS section of this forum. Check him out.
I'm pretty sure I sent him this same set of carbs like 10 yrs ago when I started this process haha

Why don't you try cleaning the set Rick did?
An hour of your time and a can or two of carb cleaner would probably get them right.
No major disassembly needed.

Why don't you try cleaning the set Rick did?
An hour of your time and a can or two of carb cleaner would probably get them right.
No major disassembly needed.
That's what I've been doin. For some reason I just can't seem to get the floats right. It's driving me crazy 😤

I set the floats to 27mm today, I got it to where only the one carb is leaking and a bit less than it was, still can NOT get this thing to fire off. I'm going nuts. I have spark, theoretically I have fuel (even tried starting fluid) and nothing. I can't get anything....

It's been quite a few years since I was working XS's, but it's possible you penetrated the floats with carb cleaner. If a float fills up, it will simply overflow continuously. I've been wrenching on bikes for fifty years, once had eight XS's, I picked up cheap, built up basket cases and sold. Their carbs are very reliable when right. I'm riding a 78 Bonnie at the present and wish Amals were close.

Back