Anyone running MAC 2-2 Part # MAC-22-Y650 ?

GeorgeOC

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hello All, trying to solve a slight exhaust install puzzle. I think its likely I am missing a bracket, or something very simple. Or, fabrication is expected on these, which is also ok. MAC customer support has been less than responsive unfortunately.

I am wondering if anyone might be running MAC 2-2 exhaust on a 'standard' frame, and have a good photo of your muffler, and where its secures to the frame? Does the muffler fix to the rear footrest bracket, same as stock pipes?

Thanks in advance!

I'll throw in.....on my '77 running what I think are mikes stock style single wall headers and a set of commandos, the passenger footpeg/muffler hanger couldn't come into play as the headers are not quite long enough.
I grabbed a set of Special rear pegs, just to have rear foot pegs, and then fabbed a hanger from the mount to the muffler.

The headers that mike sells with the kick up at the end may be the fix for my situation, if and when the current fix bothers me enough to spend some money........

Well, finally figured this one out. Probably pretty elementary to most... The initial direction given by MAC was that the bracket mounted to the passenger foot peg location. Actually found a much much better fit with mounting off the pilot foot rest. Thanks everyone for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_1194.JPG
    IMG_1194.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 296
If your MAC muffler has the common sliding track attachment bracket, hanging it from one bolt head probably won't last long on these vibrating 650s. The bolt head is going to break out of the track. I had that happen even using 2 bolt heads. The best setup for this is to fit a length of 1/4" plate into the track with 2 holes drilled and tapped into it, then attach to the hanger with short bolts. This clamps the hanger to the entire length of the sliding track and distributes the load instead of concentrating it around one bolt head.

We encountered a similar problem to yours when mounting a Commando system on my buddy's Special II, except his muffler sliding track was too far back. So, we simply ran the provided hanger strap straight back from his muffler hanger bracket to the track. You could do the opposite, run the hanger strap forward .....

JoesMuffs.jpg

If your MAC muffler has the common sliding track attachment bracket, hanging it from one bolt head probably won't last long on these vibrating 650s.

The MAC muffler does indeed have the sliding track. Great to know on the potential hardware failures... Might need to go into fab mode for a proper bracket that distributes the load better as you've mentioned. I wonder if I can mock something up, and have it cut/welded etc. Something that is one-piece, clean. hidden etc. If i get ambitious, I'll share the template!

You could build upon/modify your original hanger brackets, or maybe pick up another used set to toy with. There's got to be a ton of them around cheap what with all the bobber builds happening. But, all this muffler mount area is hidden from view, so bolt together stuff doesn't detract at all from the look. Here's my buddy's from the outside, you don't see any of the mounting .....

JoesMuffs2.jpg

Back