ANZAC Day 2022

650Skull

Cockytoo
Top Contributor
Reaction score
lest-we-forget.jpg

Maybe it a good time to reflect on the folly of War and what it means to be living in a country that is not suffering from the ravages of war. Be thankful for our freedoms but do not take our freedom for granted. There are those that use our freedoms to undermine its value and will take our freedoms in the name of freedom.

learn-photograph-of-anzac-cove-gallipoli-11202927.jpg

That value is lost when, some of those that use it, make the true meaning of the word "freedom" to mean they are more deserving of the word than others. With freedom comes responsibility, great responsibility,

fixedw_large_4x.jpg
f4c240b18dd0826ed1d292291c6db03a.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 212854

Maybe it a good time to reflect on the folly of War and what it means to be living in a country that is not suffering from the ravages of war. Be thankful for our freedoms but do not take our freedom for granted. There are those that use our freedoms to undermine its value and will take our freedoms in the name of freedom.

View attachment 212855

That value is lost when, some of those that use it, make the true meaning of the word "freedom" to mean they are more deserving of the word than others. With freedom comes responsibility, great responsibility,

View attachment 212856View attachment 212857

Skull we cannot forget the sacrifice these lads & Lasses made, from all the corners of the planet, My family were affected/involved as my Grandad Billy & Great Uncle Norman left their home family girlfriends friends and work pals to join the Sherwood Foresters, I dont know how the Anzacs commemorate the day but in the United Kingdom a lot of the population wear a poppy. Sadly my Uncle Norman fell at the Somme in March 1917, We received a special poppy in a lovely box to commemorate his sacrifice, a 100 years since the Somme 1916.

The poppy is made in brass recovered from spent artillery shells from the actual battle field RIP all the people who made the ultimate sacrifice
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg

Last edited:
Skull we cannot forget the sacrifice these lads & Lasses made, from all the corners of the planet, My family were affected/involved as my Grandad Billy & Great Uncle Norman left their home family girlfriends friends and work pals to join the Sherwood Foresters, I dont know how the Anzacs commemorate the day but in the United Kingdom a lot of the population wear a poppy. Sadly my Uncle Norman fell at the Somme in March 1917, We received a special poppy in a lovely box to commemorate his sacrifice, a 100 years since the Somme 1916.

The poppy is made in brass recovered from spent artillery shells from the actual battle field RIP all the people who made the ultimate sacrifice
View attachment 213071View attachment 213072View attachment 213073View attachment 213074View attachment 213075

Hey leslie,

That's a nice remembrance and being made from a battlefield shell makes it all the more poignant.

Anzac day in NZ and Australia is a national holiday. Dawn services all around the countries and then a in some areas a marching parade they lay a wreath at a monument to the fallen. The Turks are also involved because they allow, and have a monument where the Anzacs landed on Turkish soil, where there is also an Anzac day dawn service at Anzac cove in Turkey. this has been a pilgrimage for years and it used to be mostly service men that attend. Over the years it became much more, and before Covid it had grown into thousands attending the dawn service.

To day it is not just to remember those Anzac's and the Gallipile campaign, it is to recognize the service of all who have served in all the conflicts that have affected all those involved and their family and friends. We have family members marching in the parades and some wear the medals of their Parents, grand parents or great grandparents in recognition of their service.

There used to be a concern that as the WW1 and WW2 service men died off Anzac day would loose its meaning, (it was restricted to service men from mainly those 2 wars), but it has evolved into encompassing all wars from, Korea, Vietnam, and any posting to a conflict zone. This has also led to children being included and giving them an understanding of the values and reasons, that those who died gave the ultimate sacrifice for the freedoms they enjoy today.

It is in a way an Australian and New Zealand thing but there is also the kinmanship that has grown out of this with the Turkish people and the service men who still reside in Turkish soil.

Anzac Day in todays climate is more about recognizing those who have lost their lives in conflict zones.

Poppies are sold, (money goes to the RSA, (Returned servicemen Association), and worn by any one in recognition of the day.

I didn't mean to dismiss or ignore the sacrifice of any one in this thread. It is Anzac specific in its own way but not at the exclusion of any service man who has served with distinction or their life.

That is great remembrance to keep and remind your self of your uncle.

Back