Are these bikes ever really done?

Apart from maintenance and I think we just need to accept that if we choose to ride around on a 44 year old mechanical contrivance it's going to need a lot of preventative work or a lot of fixing or both.
Exactly.

At my age, I choose to spend more time riding than wrenching. Blasphemy, I know, but there you are! :poke: :whistle::laugh2:

Exactly.

At my age, I choose to spend more time riding than wrenching. Blasphemy, I know, but there you are! :poke: :whistle::laugh2:
I think we all need to chip and buy DE a beater XS650. That'll shut him up.
Wait isn't he the guy that merged two DIFFERENT kinds of old tractors to make one?

After several years of tweaking and upgrading, my '78 was pretty much done. I'd done just about everything to it I wanted to and couldn't think of much more. That's why I'm glad I found another cheap one to fix up. I'm also glad it was a later model and a Special. This gave me the opportunity to work with BS34 carbs, the electronic ignition, and deal with (eliminate) all the added safety relays. I also now could compare the ride and handling of the Special to my '78 Standard. The short of it is it's good. It runs well and rides nicely, especially since I put the original 16" rear wheel back on. I had an 18" rear wheel on there because the consensus was it handles better. I didn't find that to be true. I think it's better with the 16".

I had planned to make this new bike sort of my "test mule" for various things. First up will be trying some other carb sets I renovated over the winter, BS38s mostly, like this one .....

Finished.jpg

If they look a bit odd and different (fuel lines), that's because they aren't 650 carbs, they came from an XS500 parts bike I picked up a couple years back for $25. They were mounted closer together on the 500 so making them 650 ready involved swapping the spacer brackets and the butterfly shafts. Internally, they're basically the same as a '76-'77 650 set. The only external differences are the lack of a fuel crossover tube between the carbs and the right carb having it's fuel inlet on the outside rather than the inside. Now, the lack of a fuel crossover might be an issue if you tried to use these with an older two petcock tank, but on my late model single petcock Special tank, it won't be.

After several years of tweaking and upgrading, my '78 was pretty much done. I'd done just about everything to it I wanted to and couldn't think of much more. That's why I'm glad I found another cheap one to fix up.

There’s always something interesting to try on these old bikes if you’re mechanically inclined! :thumbsup:

Ha! Gary beat me to the punch! old tractors are just a different kind of old iron addiction! :laugh2:
Very true, and with much the same results: about equal part tweaking/fixing and using. Been some time since I dove down that rabbit hole too. Barring a deal too sweet to pass up, I don't see that happening again.

Very true, and with much the same results: about equal part tweaking/fixing and using. Been some time since I dove down that rabbit hole too. Barring a deal too sweet to pass up, I don't see that happening again.
guido.jpg

One exception to that is Guido the Pasquali. When I picked it up I put a battery in it and adapted a muffler to it. Only thing I've done since is put new tires all around. I've had it at least 10 years, maybe more. Starts every time, goes about anywhere.

Ive given up on my 77D a few times, many 4 letter words and tossed wrenches and when I said im selling it my wife said take a break
away from it for a bit, regroup and come back to it after u cam down. So far thats worked. I gave it to my son and purchased a brand new
2021 W800!! Im actually looking for things to fix on it, strange days!

Well, you can always be on hand to provide, uhm, technical consultancy for your son? Some might say, that's a clever move off-loading your problems like that.

Your wife spoke the truth. Many years ago, mate of mine Dungbeetle was a firm believer that the correct response to any problem in the garage was a cup of tea.

For example, a stud snaps or you strip a thread - go and make a cup of tea. Gives you the essential time to calm down and not react in haste or panic or anger or frustration. He said, the time you are likeliest to do summat stupid is in the first five minutes after you've done something else stupid.

Wise words.

I don’t know if it applies to anyone else but when I finish a project along with the elation is almost a sense of disappointment that the adventure is done. My ‘72 and my ‘76 are in Texas at my Dads place because I thought I would be back sooner and feeling the need for self abuse I picked up the XJ for something to do in the meantime until I return there. Now that the weather is finally starting to break here the touring bike will be coming out so I guess what I really need to work on is time management.

For example, a stud snaps or you strip a thread - go and make a cup of tea. Gives you the essential time to calm down and not react in haste or panic or anger or frustration. He said, the time you are likeliest to do summat stupid is in the first five minutes after you've done something else stupid.

This is so true, that was a hard lesson for me to learn, but it finally sunk in. I’ve had some real disasters happen, and now I simply set my tools down and walk away, sometimes for a day or two and regroup. Often when you’re looking at things with a clear mind, the solutions don’t seem so difficult.
I don’t know if it applies to anyone else but when I finish a project along with the elation is almost a sense of disappointment that the adventure is done.
I’ve got to say, I really miss having a project. Sometimes I think I enjoyed building my bikes more than actually riding them. I simply do not have room for a multitude of motorcycles. My small two car garage has two cars, two motorcycles, and all my tools, landscape equipment…..everything.
I would have to sell one or both of my bikes in order to have the room and finances to take on another build…..but it might be worth it. :sneaky:

Well, you can always be on hand to provide, uhm, technical consultancy for your son? Some might say, that's a clever move off-loading your problems like that.

Your wife spoke the truth. Many years ago, mate of mine Dungbeetle was a firm believer that the correct response to any problem in the garage was a cup of tea.

Wise words.
Truer word's have never been spoken. I've got 50 years of breaking stuff under my belt.

My small two car garage has two cars, two motorcycles, and all my tools, landscape equipment…..everything.
A nice backyard shed would go a long ways toward clearing room in the garage. Go on.... you know you want to... :sneaky:

A nice backyard shed would go a long ways toward clearing room in the garage. Go on.... you know you want to... :sneaky:

Yeah - c'mon @Mailman - its not like the weather shortens your danged riding season very much!

hehehehehehhehe:cool:

Back