Are you married? Can we talk?

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Got a text from she who will remain nameless about 10AM this morning.
HELP
Some background She was going to a trail ride race with two horses in the trailer, got up at 5AM, drove 100 miles plus to get there.

"We had some guy waving at us, pointing back at the trailer. So we stopped, went back and looked, but the horses seemed fine so we kept going."

When they got to the ride, something was missing;

wheel fell off.jpg

This may not be good, bearing looks bone dry. Probably looking at a new axle may not be easy to find one. Since she made it there, I'm hoping she can make it home (slowly) Trailer bought new about 2008 and 30,000 miles ago. I put on a new tires a few years ago. Guess repacking the bearings at some point would have been a good idea... :confused:

Got a text from she who will remain nameless about 10AM this morning.
HELP
Some background She was going to a trail ride race with two horses in the trailer, got up at 5AM, drove 100 miles plus to get there.

"We had some guy waving at us, pointing back at the trailer. So we stopped, went back and looked, but the horses seemed fine so we kept going."

When they got to the ride, something was missing;

View attachment 225426

This may not be good, bearing looks bone dry. Probably looking at a new axle may not be easy to find one. Since she made it there, I'm hoping she can make it home (slowly) Trailer bought new about 2008 and 30,000 miles ago. I put on a new tires a few years ago. Guess repacking the bearings at some point would have been a good idea... :confused:
I want to laugh, but I won’t.

They just got home, drove slow, "overloaded" tire wasn't even hot.
All the other bearings were fine, lots of clean blue grease.
Set up with rubber caps on the hub caps with a zerk inside that feeds to the back bearing. Prolly gave em all a shot when I put on new tires not that long ago.
:shrug:

This axle looked dry as a bone but lots of heat from a hub disintegrating will do that too.
KIMG2185.JPG

Glad she got home safe and sound!
Not to hijack the thread.. but similar story. Driving home long-distance towing a boat in a torrential downpour, which eventually let up. Was driving alongside a Jersey barrier, passing an 18-wheeler. Happened to glance in the rearview mirror, saw dust ... and sparks (!) coming from the trailer wheel. Pulled over, no more wheel on the driver side of the trailer. The hub is still there, bearing is cool, but half of the hub's diameter is ground away. Bugger me! Turns out that the hub was installed backwards on the spindle, so the wheel was never seated flat against the machined face of the hub. Eventually worked itself loose and parted company!

3 days later removed undercarriage cut/drove old spindle out of torsion arm, machined a new spindle to fit in, welded in,
KIMG2207_01_BURST1002207_COVER.JPG
all new parts from spindle to tire bought, installed (local dealer had everything in stock!) replaced bearing on other side of axle also. Set, greased other axle bearings, cleaned corrosion, undercoated, installed undercarriage, all back together, road tested.
My "reward"? No complaints about a little "rescue run", she even helped get this in the trailer.
KIMG2219.JPG
Brake was stuck we had to drag lift it into trailer, those CB's are a bit porky.
signal-2022-09-21-13-46-33-611.jpg
I owner from new, shed stored, 30K kicks over. Turns out I knew the owner back 30 years ago
Prolly end up at JRP01' place

"Paw! Found another trailer wheel an' tire!"
"Jest pit it over there with the others and we'll soon have enough for our own."

Back