Asylum Cycles Wiring Harness

Gsparkman

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I’m in the process of rebuilding a 1974 Yamaha TX 650. I have ordered a new wiring harness from a guy in Rodchester, NY owner of Asylum Cycles. Who advertises wiring harness builds for these xs650’s. I only know his first name it’s Jay. Saw good reviews on You Tube and google. Very nice , personal guy seems to know his stuff when I spoke to him. I’m inquiring if anyone has used him before and if they have had any trouble getting work completed and returned. Any recommendations appreciated.

I'm getting ready to contact him as well. Interested to hear feedback on your experience, as well as price to order. Creating my own seems simple enough but if the price is right, I might just skip the headache and order one

Buying from a maker is a good option if he/she has some sort of bona-fide recommendation from previous customers.

As I was installing a Moto-Gadget M.Unit I chose to build my own full harness. Never done anything like it before, but went ahead anyway. It was frustrating at times but by god I learned so much. I am so pleased I completed it, and I now know every centimetre of my loom. If something now fails I’m sure I will find it quickly and fix it myself.

Honestly it’s not that difficult; and is really rewarding.
You also gain a lot of knowledge about your own machine.

One advantage of building your own harness is you can color code the wire, choose the wire length and add connectors as needed.

When I got the bike I looked up the numbers and it’s supposed to be a 1974TX 650 A . I’ve rebuilt the engine and just waiting on this harness. Jay at Asylum Cycle asked me a lot of questions and I sent pictures and my controls to be refurbished. He sounds like he’s pretty knowledgeable about these bikes. One can only trust it will be the right set up for my bike. I'll let everyone know.

I've known Jay for a few years now. He learned to make harnesses from DaddyG Cycles in N. J. and took over Rich's work when he retired. Rich had a good reputation here on the forum for making harnesses.
I've never bought anything from Jay so I can't speak first hand to his quality, but he learned from one of the best.
I suspect you'll be happy with his harness.

When I got the bike I looked up the numbers and it’s supposed to be a 1974TX 650 A . I’ve rebuilt the engine and just waiting on this harness. Jay at Asylum Cycle asked me a lot of questions and I sent pictures and my controls to be refurbished. He sounds like he’s pretty knowledgeable about these bikes. One can only trust it will be the right set up for my bike. I'll let everyone know.

Identifying it as a 74TXA is fine. If Jay, (harness maker), has asked a lot of questions then you should be good to go. I didn't know he had taken over from DaddyG and had worked with him prier to retiring. As Jim says, DaddyG was good at his job so as things have lined up you should be good to go.:thumbsup:

I made the reference to the difference between TX and 74 because it can cause problems if one or the other is used without a clear definition of the exact model............Was not being a dick

Hey guys

Anyone know if Asylum is open? I ordered and paid for a harness in early December, and since then, radio silence from them

I know they had a rough time in the area with weather, I get that , but no returns on emails yet ….

Any info would be appreciated. I’m not a fan of trying to find a vendor this way, as it can colour opinions of folks , but I’m not sure I have any other contact options

All the best guys
Nick

All I know is he is charging about 4 times as much as Rich charged me for one.

Back