Auction... bad...

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
BSA 1.jpg BSA 2.jpg BSA 3.jpg Besides ebay.. I follow several other auction sites. Last night I saw this gem and placed a lowball bid... less than $400.oo. Awoke this morn'n and... ..Usually I'm pretty stoke about winning.... but this time I was hope'n someone would outbid me...... so it's a 6Am departure....224 miles..one way. The auction didn't give much details... just old BSA.. No title...no keys.. " been sitting for a long time ". Upon arrival ... Engine stuck (funny how the auction folks glossed over that part)...... looks like a Yamaha rear rim.... Auction folks said it was in " grand Ma's garage for years.."... So... I own it... and after I get the 3 other projects squared away... ( insert laugh track here )... I'll start on this thing. The handlebars will be available ....

View attachment 201497 View attachment 201498 View attachment 201499 Besides ebay.. I follow several other auction sites. Last night I saw this gem and placed a lowball bid... less than $400.oo. Awoke this morn'n and... ..Usually I'm pretty stoke about winning.... but this time I was hope'n someone would outbid me...... so it's a 6Am departure....224 miles..one way. The auction didn't give much details... just old BSA.. No title...no keys.. " been sitting for a long time ". Upon arrival ... Engine stuck (funny how the auction folks glossed over that part)...... looks like a Yamaha rear rim.... Auction folks said it was in " grand Ma's garage for years.."... So... I own it... and after I get the 3 other projects squared away... ( insert laugh track here )... I'll start on this thing. The handlebars will be available ....

Oh dear!

View attachment 201497 View attachment 201498 View attachment 201499 Besides ebay.. I follow several other auction sites. Last night I saw this gem and placed a lowball bid... less than $400.oo. Awoke this morn'n and... ..Usually I'm pretty stoke about winning.... but this time I was hope'n someone would outbid me...... so it's a 6Am departure....224 miles..one way. The auction didn't give much details... just old BSA.. No title...no keys.. " been sitting for a long time ". Upon arrival ... Engine stuck (funny how the auction folks glossed over that part)...... looks like a Yamaha rear rim.... Auction folks said it was in " grand Ma's garage for years.."... So... I own it... and after I get the 3 other projects squared away... ( insert laugh track here )... I'll start on this thing. The handlebars will be available ....
Looks like the bike will need a lot of loving to see the road again. From a cost perspective you’ve done well. If you choose to part it out I’m sure you’ll make your money back many times over.

Hi Mike,
if I was 20 years younger and a thousand miles closer I'd buy it from you for nostalgia's sake.
It's a BSA 500cc/650cc A50/A65 (They both used the same frame)
And the rear wheel is nothing like a Yamaha's.
Note that the rear brake drum and drive sprocket are combined and stay in the frame as you remove the
right-hand stub-axle and spacer to pull the wheel away without disturbing the drive train.

With my one good peeper.... and a toothbrush... found frame number and it matched the engine number. 1967 Lightning. I have no plans for " restore " to former glory.... cost prohibited .... fully restored...worth... $10-12,000.oo....? cost to restored... $10,-12,000.oo I'll pull the engine... seem to recall they had a weak crank bearing.... left side ? Get engine squared away.. and go with the cafe' style.... replace rims, spokes.... European style bars.... retain the seat... Make it a nice street bike.... wave at the Amish on the back roads over in Wisconsin.... The " Homemade Cafe " in Pepin,Wis has great old-style potato soup... followed with ice cream at Nelson's creamery in Alma, Wis.

Timing side bearing,it's a plain bearing, proper setup is critical to keep the lower end together. A bit more involved than just replacing parts. Be sure to measure and record the crankshaft end float before you take it apart. That license plate may be a helpful clue in tracking down the last known paperwork.

Seen one of those being mishandled Hooligan style early seventies
In winter there was gravel spread on roads and come spring it was mostly close to the Sidewalk
One long haired dude that kicked my bicycle over a few years before.. Being a couple of years older
and bigger. Bullying
Had the rear wheel at the gravel revving and letting the clutch out gravel flying
At the end of the gravel and at the asphalt one would expect the big Kabonk rattlle rattle .Bonk
Or wheel lift but neither of that. He did it a couple of times with Friends at the sidewalk
A Bonneville did tore the gearbox at clutch out that style trying the rear wheel riding.
Although the Triumph had better quality reputation.
The handlebars .. fit that period and riders.

Saturday morn'n BS with the Star Buck rejects. One " rider "... fellow on a newer Urinal ... ( Ural )... at 36 degrees..Nope... I do... pick up truck. Talked with my BSA guru buddy.. he said . pull the lump.. he'll go through it... add electronic ignition... Under $1200,oo. Drop'd it off at another buddies... next week we get busy.... spring is 5 months away ! I check'd the numbers... they match, frame and engine.. it's a 67' Lightning.

Today tossed the BSA engine on the bench. The primary chain was fully adjusted and still had an inch of floppy. The clutch looked ok but it's a consumable and will be replaced. The rotor on the end of the crank had been ..peened. It still was loose... Pulled valve cover and it looked clean..rockers in good nick. Pop'd the head and ..... Now we know why it doesn't turn over. So... break out the gas wrench, block of wood and our favorite BFH. Took four heat cycles to get the pistons down. Lifted the cylinders and discovered the right side had a section at the bottom of the skirt missing. Now... I look for a replacement cylinder. The PO.. or PO's.... used a tube of orange RTV. Friday we split the cases. 😎

Attachments

• BSA Engine main.jpg
    BSA Engine main.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 121
  • BSA Engine Ma N.jpg
    BSA Engine Ma N.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 122
  • BSA Engine gas.jpg
    BSA Engine gas.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 122
  • thumbnail_IMG_2961(2).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2961(2).jpg