Auction... bad...

Walked away. I was drive'n 90 miles round trip to work on the BSA. (heated shop). Getting the frame stripped for paint... pull'n sections apart.... everything required a heat gun .... After about the 4th day.. I decided I just didn't want to spend the...time.... not so much the $$$.... but time. I could see this was going to be a long time project...and normally I enjoy this stuff. But.... Time... I'd rather put towards.... ride'n my motorcycle(s).... time to wave at the cows... visit a local greasy spoon for pie and coffee..... stop and actually read that historical highway marker..... Heck I'm not just over the hill... I'm halfway down the slope !... and we'r not in charge of check out... time. 😎

Walked away. I was drive'n 90 miles round trip to work on the BSA. (heated shop). Getting the frame stripped for paint... pull'n sections apart.... everything required a heat gun .... After about the 4th day.. I decided I just didn't want to spend the...time.... not so much the $$$.... but time. I could see this was going to be a long time project...and normally I enjoy this stuff. But.... Time... I'd rather put towards.... ride'n my motorcycle(s).... time to wave at the cows... visit a local greasy spoon for pie and coffee..... stop and actually read that historical highway marker..... Heck I'm not just over the hill... I'm halfway down the slope !... and we'r not in charge of check out... time. 😎
So very true. Winter is for wrenching, the rest of the year weather permitting is for riding and enjoying your time left.

Although I am actively maintaining 7 running bikes at this time in my life (age 67), I'm increasingly making decisions about my motorcycle purchases and projects in a similar manner to you. Riding and travelling is a priority. :bike:

I hear ya, I’m the same way at this stage of life. I don’t mind minor fixes but not a full resto. I would have made the same decision. 👍

I thought I recognized you over on your 'Not an XS....' thread, and guess the old French Gal is left behind as well. I do hope you find the time to enjoy the pleasanter aspects of the latter years and share them here with us.
'TT'

The French project is on winter..it's to dang cold to kick.... hold. Shortly before O'Man Winter and his chilly sidekick Jack Frost took over the neighborhood we had the Motobecane outside.. started and running.... about 50 feet..then it acts as if fuel starved. The carb we used came off a 350 Douglas.. same engine lay out as a BMW..... the carb fits but it was set up for a 175 cylinder.... and we put in bigger jets... So... my buddy got a new carb... set up for his 1934 Moto Guzzi 500.... all his fuel... throttle... " performance " issues went away... recently we pulled it all apart suspension repairs and powder coat. I " borrowed " the carb .. it will bolt up to my engine.... Once the temps get better.... we'll toss the carb on... got outside and...... cross your pinkies... :cool:

Attachments

• Rod 2.jpg
    Rod 2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 76
The French project is on winter..it's to dang cold to kick.... hold. Shortly before O'Man Winter and his chilly sidekick Jack Frost took over the neighborhood we had the Motobecane outside.. started and running.... about 50 feet..then it acts as if fuel starved. The carb we used came off a 350 Douglas.. same engine lay out as a BMW..... the carb fits but it was set up for a 175 cylinder.... and we put in bigger jets... So... my buddy got a new carb... set up for his 1934 Moto Guzzi 500.... all his fuel... throttle... " performance " issues went away... recently we pulled it all apart suspension repairs and powder coat. I " borrowed " the carb .. it will bolt up to my engine.... Once the temps get better.... we'll toss the carb on... got outside and...... cross your pinkies... :cool:
I loved the video you posted on the other thread. That is a really good sounding engine!
'TT'

Ok.... yeah.... thought i was done with.... old Brit's.... but this pop'd up in the middle of Cheesland (Wisconsin) .... 68' " bita's " Lightning. ($3100.oo) Same owner since 83'. Seller said he obtained it as a rough 650 Hornet..... and when though the bike and preferred the " Lightning " style. The year before C-19 he had the engine going over along with bottom end bearings. Only had two hundred miles and stopped riding it. Got a Triumph Spitfire... the four wheel version.
Came with the correct front drum brake and new rim, electronic ignition in the box, new battery in the box, and a bunch of extra goodies. Haul'd it to my shop.... changed the fluids, gave it the once over.... was concerned the petcocks would be leakers.... No problems... gas tank internally completely clean. Add'd fresh fluids... installed the battery.... gas.... took about 15 kicks. Run's great... idles even ! Do'n the happy dance !
Got insurance today, Monday I'll hit DMV. Now I have to clean my oily fingerprints and rain drops off the bike... find my BSA T shirt... I'll pass on the warm beer. :cool:

Attachments

• BSA.jpg
    BSA.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 80
  • BSA L 1.jpg
    BSA L 1.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 74
  • BSA L.jpg
    BSA L.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 70
WTF ? Went to adjust the carbs... no air screw... no idle screw.... the PO had the carbs on the wrong side. Aaaaaaaaaaaargh... after a hour... got them swapped. Got lic-insurance. Fired it up...made adjustments.. the air screws reacted as they should, oooh.. good sign. Rip'd around the block a couple of times and then hit the freeway. This thing moves out and responses very well ! . Then.... in less then a heart beat.. didn't even have time to make promises to God !.. real wheel locked up at 65mph... tire was screeching.... nay, screaming ! ! ..... rear of the bike is swapping sides.... I keep a light grip on the bars and don't touch the front brake... speed is quickly fade'n away... thank God I was in the right lane and was able to guide to the shoulder..... it almost fell over when I came to a abrupt stop. I wait a moment.... let what happen sink in.... I place the bike on the center stand... wheel rocks slightly... I pop the tranny in neutral.. wheel spins.... I call my buddy tell him to grab the trailer. I push the bike off the interstate.... scary in itself.... around the corner... fired the bike..... rode it... s l o w l y up and down the street... all 4 gears... No issues.. no noise. I get it home... pull the rear wheel and of the two brake shoes.. a total of three rivet's where worn make'n contact with the steel drum. So... question is.. was that the cause for the " excitement "..? I seemed to recall new shoes in the parts box that came with the bike.... Nope...not shoes... brake linings (rivet style)... Now I wonder if the PO knew and didn't share the need for the linings. I have the shoes at the local brake shop.... get'n bonded. :cool:

Attachments

• BSA Shoe.jpg
    BSA Shoe.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 56
WTF ? Went to adjust the carbs... no air screw... no idle screw.... the PO had the carbs on the wrong side. Aaaaaaaaaaaargh... after a hour... got them swapped. Got lic-insurance. Fired it up...made adjustments.. the air screws reacted as they should, oooh.. good sign. Rip'd around the block a couple of times and then hit the freeway. This thing moves out and responses very well ! . Then.... in less then a heart beat.. didn't even have time to make promises to God !.. real wheel locked up at 65mph... tire was screeching.... nay, screaming ! ! ..... rear of the bike is swapping sides.... I keep a light grip on the bars and don't touch the front brake... speed is quickly fade'n away... thank God I was in the right lane and was able to guide to the shoulder..... it almost fell over when I came to a abrupt stop. I wait a moment.... let what happen sink in.... I place the bike on the center stand... wheel rocks slightly... I pop the tranny in neutral.. wheel spins.... I call my buddy tell him to grab the trailer. I push the bike off the interstate.... scary in itself.... around the corner... fired the bike..... rode it... s l o w l y up and down the street... all 4 gears... No issues.. no noise. I get it home... pull the rear wheel and of the two brake shoes.. a total of three rivet's where worn make'n contact with the steel drum. So... question is.. was that the cause for the " excitement "..? I seemed to recall new shoes in the parts box that came with the bike.... Nope...not shoes... brake linings (rivet style)... Now I wonder if the PO knew and didn't share the need for the linings. I have the shoes at the local brake shop.... get'n bonded. :cool:
As the late, great Frank Barrone would say "Holy Crap!"

Hey, Mike, what the Cripes? It looks like you got some good bones there to start... Could be a fantastic resto, or resto-mod. Worst case, unstuck the motor and chop the s#!t out of it. Plunger rear suspension hard tail, Sugar Bear forks....:shrug: A real death sled! :yikes:
Looks to be a sweet 650 BSA A65, an old bike like that needs a bit of TLC not chopping.

Today tossed the BSA engine on the bench. The primary chain was fully adjusted and still had an inch of floppy. The clutch looked ok but it's a consumable and will be replaced. The rotor on the end of the crank had been ..peened. It still was loose... Pulled valve cover and it looked clean..rockers in good nick. Pop'd the head and ..... Now we know why it doesn't turn over. So... break out the gas wrench, block of wood and our favorite BFH. Took four heat cycles to get the pistons down. Lifted the cylinders and discovered the right side had a section at the bottom of the skirt missing. Now... I look for a replacement cylinder. The PO.. or PO's.... used a tube of orange RTV. Friday we split the cases. 😎
The old Lucas rotors would get loose on there iron core. Later ones were much better. Take a hard look at the rods see if there are any nicks on them. Something had to come apart to break the cylinder skirt. Clean out the sludge trap in the crank. I'm a big fan of British iron as if you couldn't tell.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Do plan on going to Davenport this year, if gas doesn't get too expensive.

I would look deeper into that rear wheel. Did you repack or replace the bearings? Using bonded brakes is a big plus. What about the front brakes, did to check them too? Drain the transmission oil and see if there is any swarf in the oil, I don't see the rear shoes as being the culprit.
Keep us posted.
John in Texas

Back