auction rip off

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
bought a tx650 tank at a auction ,was a bike wreckers closing down auction that you could also bid on line as well , thought all good as picked up a 74 tank in good cond according to the photos , had photos from every angle except under it , even had the petrol cap , paid 60 aust bucks with 80 postage still not a bad price here as normally asking 250 for them , got it home and thought you beauty till i turned it over , no tap and must have had a leak as some one took to it with a grinder , metal opened up about 6 inchs long and about 1/2 in wide along the seam (inside) , should be fixable but am i pissed off , cant understand someone even doing this to the tank , the paint job isnt even all that bad concidering the age, dont know who more pissed off with the auction house for not showing the damage or the idiot with the angle grinder , funny thing is its cinnomin brown but only has 1 tap , thought they had 2 .. could it be a tx500 ,, sorry no camera so no photos

Last edited:
ok just been looking at the tank again , is the type tank for badges not decals , looks to be original paint and cinnomin brown and only 1 fuel tap ... whats the thoughts on model and year .. definitly not the special shape

Could be a ‘74. Didn’t they just have one petcock? I know they were the Cinnamon Brown.

The 74 I had a long time ago I thought had 2 petcocks, and for sure it had decals on the tank and side covers
and the color was Cinnamon Brown.

Attachments

• 74 650.jpeg
    74 650.jpeg
    556.1 KB · Views: 95
The 74 I had a long time ago I thought had 2 petcocks, and for sure it had decals on the tank and side covers
and the color was Cinnamon Brown.
Thats not me I just grabbed the picture off a prior post

May 5th – 8th, 2022 Ozarks Rally VI, Mountain View, Arkansas.​

Thats not me I just grabbed the picture off a prior post

May 5th – 8th, 2022 Ozarks Rally VI, Mountain View, Arkansas.​

The pictured bike is a correct TX650A with well over 100,000 miles on it. I forgot JP's handle or I'd post it. Two petcocks and decals on the tank. The only XS650 that got a single petcock was the Special and as pointed out by @650Skull, that begins with the 1980 models.

after looking at a lot of photos of xs500 starting to think might be off a larger xs than the 650 , will have to pore over the computor , anyone think of a xs with only 1 petcock

Back