Aussie Cafe build

Hi,

Thanks for all your comments.
I kind of agree about the exhaust headers, but they're growing on me.

They were the first thing i had done to the bike (maybe prematurely) and despite giving the exhaust shop photos of what I wanted (including headers aligned to the frame ) they came up with these. They have more of a 1970s chopper look and have some other `features` that I didnt want. I complained and we agreed that they would change them at a later time, when I obtained some other parts (reversion cones etc.).
Apart from sticking out too far (first horizontal section is too long) I'm starting to like the vertical down section as its a bit different. I'm going to get the horizontal sections shortened to bring the headers closer to the frame but keep the vertical down tubes.

I also agree that the red frame might be too much red.

Regarding the tank, its a shame that it doesnt fit as is, but I accepted the risk when I bought it (despite having the measurements) and we`re all about creating a custom bike here. Just needs a small adjustment to fit well.

Hi,
I kind of agree about the exhaust headers, but they're growing on me. - - -
They were the first thing i had done to the bike I'm starting to like the vertical down section as its a bit different. I'm going to get the horizontal sections shortened to bring the headers closer to the frame but keep the vertical down tubes.
I also agree that the red frame might be too much red.
Regarding the tank, its a shame that it doesnt fit as is, but I accepted the risk when I bought it (despite having the measurements) and we`re all about creating a custom bike here. Just needs a small adjustment to fit well.

Hi Phil,
so long as you can live with how the pipes look, great.
No such thing as too much red, makes Italian bikes go faster, dunnit?
Mind you, my own old-fashioned view is there's only two colours to paint bikes:-
One is black with thin gold pinstripes; t'other is whatever colour fools use.
And good luck fixing the tank, competent Aluminium TIG welders are hard to find and don't work cheap.

Just a quick update;

The tank is out being modified to fit the frame better. It did fit but I wanted it to sit lower on the frame and the front of the tank was hitting the front frame down tubes, so the tank is being widened at the bottom.

I've also acquired a tail section that will need some modifications to dovetail into the tank but looks like the right size/proportions for the look I'm after.

The headlight frame mount has been started and I'm also starting to modify the fairing around the headlight area as I don't like the top of the headlight sticking through the fairing as it did on the ducati 900ss.

I'll update with some pics soon.

Just a quick update.

The tank mount rubbers have been fitted to the frame and the tank is sitting quite nicely. I've also removed the rear frame brackets so the seat can sit in its proper place.

I've been spending a bit of time fitting the fairing position and mounting brackets. It's a bit fiddly but almost done.

I've also found out that the bottom triple clamps are bent on one side so I'm organising to get them straightened.

Thanks 650Skull.
The PO had fitted new +2" fork tubes which I've since replaced with standard length tubes, so the chrome tubes should be ok. The oil seal on the bent side has had an ongoing leak, even after new seals, so I'm hoping that it's due to some tension in the fork lower caused by the misalignment. Won't know until the new clamps get installed!

Here's some photo updates:

The seat needs to be extended to the tank but is a good start.
seat.jpg

The new triple clamp being painted.
triple.jpg

Overall progress. It doesn't look like much has changed but the fairing and tank are now fitted and the front end will go back on soon. Footpeg mounts are also being machined.
progress.jpg

I tried to get it so that the line of the fairing extends the line under the tank and seat which is characteristic of a café racer.

Last edited:
Thanks Brassneck

Just received my rear Hagon shocks from Dave Quinn Motorcycles. Great bloke, very helpful and good price. I'm repainting the springs from standard black to red to suit the intended colour scheme.

Got the front end back on and took it outside to check out the lines from a distance.

progress feb.jpg
progress feb2.jpg
progress feb3.jpg

I'm loving the way that the shocks came up. They started with black springs on black body.
Rr shock.jpg

Thanks Brassneck. By the way, I love what you've done to your bike. I really enjoyed reading your build blog and your bike's been an inspiration. Top quality job mate.

I've been working on extending the seat pan by making a buck or plug so I can take a fibreglass mold of it and then make a fibreglass front section. This will then be joined to the back section to make one piece. I'm then going to cut up the one piece seat so there's a join just under the rear of the tank.
The seat section that continues under the tank is to extend the horizontal line formed by the seat where the knee cut outs disrupt that horizontal line.

seat plug.jpg

I've also made an electrics tray under the seat using the original battery tray mounts, so is removable if I ever need to. It's been a long time since I've done any sheet metal work, but didn't turn out too bad.

I've also picked up a nice little rear tail light so will start making up the tail light and rego plate holder and mount soon.

Thanks Brassneck. By the way, I love what you've done to your bike. I really enjoyed reading your build blog and your bike's been an inspiration. Top quality job mate.

Thanks, I appreciate that! You're build is bad-ass..can't wait to see it finished.

I've been working on extending the seat pan by making a buck or plug so I can take a fibreglass mold of it and then make a fibreglass front section. This will then be joined to the back section to make one piece. I'm then going to cut up the one piece seat so there's a join just under the rear of the tank.
The seat section that continues under the tank is to extend the horizontal line formed by the seat where the knee cut outs disrupt that horizontal line.

Are you cutting the seat so you can remove it easier? If you don't have to...might be better to keep in one piece so the line stays consistent? Just a thought.

I did consider leaving the seat as one piece but I need to get reasonably easy access to the electrics located under the seat.

Considering the many hours just sitting there staring at the bike and wondering how I'm going to tackle various problems, I still dont know exactly how I'm going to attach the seat yet but I'm sure some idea will come to me!

Last edited:
Hi Triumph, sorry about the lack of posts. I wasn't getting much feedback so was starting to think no-one was interested.

Ive also been dragged away to work on renovating a granny flat under my house so that my youngest son and his girlfriend can move in. Bloody teenagers always wanting you to drop what you're doing to satisfy their needs!!

Anyway, prior to the reno starting I'd finished making the seat base and then dropped the motor out and stripped the frame of unnecessary brackets etc. Little bit more to go cleaning up the frame, welding on some new tabs and then stripping and painting.

Only photos I could take is of a pile of parts in the corner of the workshop so not very interesting.

Cheers,
Phil

Bike looks great, I agree with the spoked Wheels looking better than mags, allthough I would like some mags for a build, its all about style.

The bike looks good and especially the windbreaker thats a nice touch.

About the Wheels what size are thy back and front? :bike:

Glad to see (well, read actually) an update!

Keep posting...I really like your build. Also, with 2000+ views, I think there's just a little bit of interest. Ha ha...Granted, maybe not so many comments, but that may be because it seems like you're on a path..and it's mostly a "watch-n-see kind of thing."

You want opinions/comments? Ask if you should go with a PMA or not. Ha ha :)

Cheers!

Hi Triumph, sorry about the lack of posts. I wasn't getting much feedback so was starting to think no-one was interested.

Ive also been dragged away to work on renovating a granny flat under my house so that my youngest son and his girlfriend can move in. Bloody teenagers always wanting you to drop what you're doing to satisfy their needs!!

Anyway, prior to the reno starting I'd finished making the seat base and then dropped the motor out and stripped the frame of unnecessary brackets etc. Little bit more to go cleaning up the frame, welding on some new tabs and then stripping and painting.

Only photos I could take is of a pile of parts in the corner of the workshop so not very interesting.

Cheers,
Phil

Back