Avon Roadriders on a Special?

eyewinder

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for sizing and performance feedback from anyone running Avon AM26 Roadriders – particularly on a Special... After a bunch of reading, it's become clear that labeled tire sizes can vary a great deal from the actual measurements. Avon's apparently run on the wide side. My primary concerns:

1) How's the rear tire clearance with the 130/90-16 (MT90-16)?

My old tire has slightly less than a 1/4" gap between the swing arm and caliper brace rod (have a rear disk). It has a fairly square transition from the tread to the sidewall and measures at 134mm wide. I'm hoping that the Roadrider's more rounded profile will allow for a similar clearance, despite it's larger specified width of 137mm.

2) What size did you get for the front wheel and how does it perform? How's the clearance with forks/fender?

The Avon fitment guide suggests their 'universal' 100/90-19 for the front wheel, although the rim width calls for a 2.15" minimum. They also make 'front' specific sizes at 90/90-19 and 3.25-19, which could be a better option for a 1.85" mag wheel...

Would these smaller sizes have any performance advantages? On a cosmetic note, would they appear overly small? The Special has a fat rear tire to start with, so it would be nice to avoid exaggerating the size difference any further – unless there is good reason.

Thanks!

Look further down regarding my report on installing these tires on my 77 standard.Luv them. I got the same sizes as
what was on the bike before and they do look bigger(taller and wider) but not a lot.Im more on my tippy toes now LOL short legged.
The ride and handling is much improved, the side walls are a lot stiffer and u do run more psi than stock.
I will never buy anything else.Had them previously on a 1200 Sportster recommended by the Harley tech as I hated the Dunlops I had
and never looked back.They are a lil more money, there are cheaper tires,only real down side as I see it.

Hi XS650D,
I came across your tire threads while researching earlier... and your positive review helped with narrowing my selection. To confirm, did you end up going with the 3.25-19 on the front, as mentioned here, or did you stick with the more common 100/90-19?

By any chance, did you get your tires on sale at Flying Squirrel in Toronto? They have a bunch of nice tires to choose from. I'm considering the Bridgestone BT-45 as well...

At some point, I'd love to swap out the rear wheel for an 18", but will have to live with the 16" mag for now.

Hi Eyewinder
I ended up going with the 100/90/19 and its perfect,approx 3/8" space between the rim and tire, lil meatier
than the spitfires I had even though its the same specs, go figure!
I wouldn't run 2 different tires personally as the the handling will be compromised.
I got them from a supplier in Montreal,cant recall but good price I thought and free shipping over a certain $$.

Good to know the 100/90-19 is working well for you. I also spoke with someone at Avon late this afternoon and they recommended the 90/90-19. Since the Roadriders tend to run on the larger side, the actual size of the 90/90-19 measures at 99mm or 3.9" wide. It's also recommended for use with a 1.85" rim... So there are two solid options for the front wheel!

Sorry, I probably should have been clearer about the Bridgestone BT-45s... For the reason you've mentioned, I wouldn't mix and match different brands or types of tires. They would be a second choice (front and rear), if the Roadriders are not workable due to rear wheel / swing arm clearance issues.

That said, if anyone can confirm that the 16" Roadriders are a good fit on a Special, it would be greatly appreciated! Pics would be amazing too!

Back