Backfired on deceleration then didn't want to stay running!

RoccoStreetTracker

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Took the wife on a date Friday night, it was a glorious 10 minutes before the bike started back firing when I would decelerate and then after another 5-10 min, I would have to keep on the accelerator a lot to keep it running at the light.

Stopped had dinner, got her running, but 5 min into going home she would die when I would put throttle on. It would run off the choke in natural, but die when I rolled a little throttle.

On top of that the clutch rod seal has given up the ghost and spewed oil all over the back tire when then sprayed it all over my bikes nice jacket (it's good for the leather, right?:thumbsup:).

Do you think these two incidents were independent.

1) leaky exhaust gasket = backfire
2) low oil pressure = bike does not want to run?

I'm pretty new to this work and really appreciate the the experience and wisdom everyone offers.

Anything else I'm missing?

I'm running ascot exhausts with Mikes XS POD filters, which up until Friday seemed okay, other than a bike fire maybe 3 times since I've owned the bike the last 3 months.

Mike's pods run like shit anyhow. Search it on the site here. If it backfires through the carb it can blow the filters off, the carbs off, or the seams out of the filters. You might have a look, and get yourself some UNI foam pods while you're at it.

I'd start with a deep carb clean followed up with a tune up. All this after changing the pushrod seal. These bikes have a low pressure system anyway due to the roller bearing crank. BTW when you have the carbs off, take a peek down the intakes to see if the pods were disintegrating on the inside. I'm in my late 50's and my SG gimped up my RT knee too. I use the electric foot now.

couple things...

1. that seems like a lot of oil. check the seal behind your front sprocket and make sure that the sprocket is torqued down to spec.

2. it was running good then all of a sudden running bad. i would check to make sure all your electrics are in good order. is it charging correctly? connections good?

that seems like a lot of oil. check the seal behind your front sprocket and make sure that the sprocket is torqued down to spec.

I have a 2 1/2 rachet and still can't get off the front sprocket, which makes me doubt that was leaking. The Pushrod was really loose in the seal and the seal was pretty bunged up.

I guess I'll leave the sprocket on for now and get the pushrod seal replaced with new ball bearing and long rod and also replace the exhaust gaskets and then look at electric and carbs after that.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Back