Backwards Camshaft found and fixed

from what i read the pamco ignish won't be advancing, it will be retarding if installed on the riders left. bigger threaded end of the cam sticks out the left side. am i correct in my thinking?

cheers

What's with all this "camshaft in backwards" questions? Surely there's enough pictures in Haynes/Clymer manuals, and on web sites such as this. Oh, I get it.................this is a joke................good one to:D

OK, if you're serious....................the large threaded end of the camshaft is on the right end, same side as the foot brake.

What's with all this "camshaft in backwards" questions? Surely there's enough pictures in Haynes/Clymer manuals, and on web sites such as this. Oh, I get it.................this is a joke................good one to:D

OK, if you're serious....................the large threaded end of the camshaft is on the right end, same side as the foot brake.

Sorry retiredgentleman that this thread about PAMCO took a turn for the worse. As I stated, I know nothing but am trying to learn.

You are absolutely correct though...after asking all my questions re: camshaft, I looked at the Clymer manual last night and it says on pg 56 "Place the camshaft in position....with the threading on the right."

It's easy for me to assume that the PO knew more about this than I did, so I just made an assumption before looking at the manual. I didn't post this as a joke, sorry it is being taken this way.

who's joking? i type in "backwards cam" into the search box and i was led here. please let me know if i should be somewhere else . i picked my bike up a few months ago. it had a garbaged alternator . bought a PMA and pamco ignition, the full kit. my bike is an 80 so theres no advances or any thing under the caps. . . except the cam shaft end. threaded end comes out of the left side (shifter side) / i have to assume that is how some one put it together. and no, i don't have any contact with previous owner .

moving forward . "while I am in there i figure i might as well check the valves . will i need Valve guide Install / remove driver tool ? is there any gaskets , bushings , washers that are mandatory to replace ? what else is worth looking into while i have the engine out with it's lid off?

CHEERS

Rlauchard,

This thread has nothing to do with PAMCO. I would appreciate it if you would change the title and remove the PAMCO reference.

Pamcopete, this thread is meant to document my experience with installing your product. I haven't gotten there yet as I'm in the middle of getting my camshaft in the right way so that the PAMCO components go in correctly. I bought your product, tried to install and boom, found out I needed to do more work, but I'm getting there. Have I in some way offended you or your product? That was not my intent.

Rlauchard,

Your experience is not the norm. The PAMCO is one of the most popular products for the XS650 and ease of installation is one of the reasons for that popularity. This thread is all about removing and reinstalling the cam shaft, which is not a necessary step when installing the PAMCO. When you finally get your cam shaft problem sorted out, then I would suggest you start a new thread if you want to talk about the PAMCO, but for now I would appreciate it if you would change the title of this thread.

Pamcopete,

Just to let you know...I submitted a PM to Travis to change the name of this thread. From what I've read, you can only change it yourself in the first 24 hours. I wasn't ignoring your request, I just don't know how it's done other than to PM someone...and don't know who that someone is. If you have any other info on the topic, it will help to expedite the change. Sorry for the delay.

fyi clicking the little triangle with the red outline and exclamation mark will bring up a window to leave the moderators a message about a post.
It may be faster than them having to sift through pm's?

Personally I was able to understand that you hadn't gotten to the pamco install yet because of the mechanical problems. Kinda nit picking when we work through other problems for people installing the pamco to ask that you change you thread title.
Maybe all the others whose problems turn out as other setbacks should change their thread titles also.
You bought and own the product use the name where ever you see fit. If Pete wants to control how and when it is mentioned maybe he should give them away.
I've found your thread informative and seeing how as we all deal with something a PO has done maybe there are others besides you (oh and 650greaser) who need the benefit of someone who has gone before.
Carry on.

Pamcopete,

Just to let you know...I submitted a PM to Travis to change the name of this thread. From what I've read, you can only change it yourself in the first 24 hours. I wasn't ignoring your request, I just don't know how it's done other than to PM someone...and don't know who that someone is. If you have any other info on the topic, it will help to expedite the change. Sorry for the delay.

Well, weekend rider is probably correct. In fact there is a new thread with someone doing a PAMCO install and his cam shaft cavity somehow got split and I am helping him perhaps solve that issue. I have also spent time helping people installing a PAMCO with a PMA and some of those threads go on for weeks. I think I got a little off when you suggested that your cam problem was probably like that from the factory and you suggested that I include some caution in my instructions to that effect. Well, you subsequently found it was the PO, which I believe is true in all cases of a swapped cam shaft. I just don't want people to read the first part of this thread and get the idea that cam shafts in backwards is a common problem when installing the PAMCO, because it isn't.

So, carry on...:D and Merry Christmas...:)

OK...thanks so much! Merry Christmas to you too! This is why new guys (me) shouldn't jump to conclusions until they have all the facts. Look at that...I've learned engine lessons and life lessons.

Seriously, thanks for the help!

:hijack: When is the new electronic advance going to hit the market.

Scabber,

Soon. I've installed one in my '81/H and it works as designed. I've got PC boards for 24 of them, so probably early in the new year I will want to send some out to frequent riders for Beta testing.

I am working with another newbie with a cam problem (go figure) and if he cannot get his advance rod to work, then I will send him one as a well.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24027

Back