Base Gasket

BlackRabbit18

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I pulled the motor to reseal the valve cover. Finally got the cover off today and #1 I see no remnant of gasket material or liquid gasket (is that normal) and #2 my base gasket started leaking after I got the cover off. Do I need a new base gasket now? (it has been bone dry while riding) or can I just seal the cover back up and all will be well.

Thanks!

PS Bike is an XS1

Attachments

• 9BA9835E-E1CD-44DF-A782-E47CD3266842.jpeg
    9BA9835E-E1CD-44DF-A782-E47CD3266842.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 4CED5CF4-391A-46B3-BB28-DA5BD3C6F2A2.jpeg
    4CED5CF4-391A-46B3-BB28-DA5BD3C6F2A2.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 61
I would plan on replacing all the gaskets, o-rings & seals in the top-end. Might as well measure the pistons and rings while you're in there. On the gaskets I prefer to use Vesrah or Cometic brand if available and Yamabond or Threebond on the valve cover

I would plan on replacing all the gaskets, o-rings & seals in the top-end. Might as well measure the pistons and rings while you're in there. On the gaskets I prefer to use Vesrah or Cometic brand if available and Yamabond or Threebond on the valve cover
dam, was supposed to be a simple job... welp thats how it goes!

Motor’s out so I’d replace all gaskets; check front cam chain guide and chain tensioner and replace if necessary.

That may not be the base gasket leaking. It may just be oil that belched out from where you removed the oil pipe. If you turned the motor over at all with that oil pipe removed, it could happen. As long as you didn't disturb the base gasket, break it loose by allowing the cylinders to lift up, it shouldn't be leaking.

While we’re talking about this, can the base gasket be replaced without breaking the cam chain?
Yes, if ya slide the cam bearings off the cam, the cam can slide out with the chain intact and there's nothing else in the way down to the base gasket (tensioner bracket below base gasket). Early models did have a webbing in the cylinders that prevent that scenario. What model is this?

That may not be the base gasket leaking. It may just be oil that belched out from where you removed the oil pipe. If you turned the motor over at all with that oil pipe removed, it could happen. As long as you didn't disturb the base gasket, break it loose by allowing the cylinders to lift up, it shouldn't be leaking.
i think its definitely the base gasket... oil is seeping 360 degrees around that gasket unfortunately, not just the front

Yes, if ya slide the cam bearings off the cam, the cam can slide out with the chain intact and there's nothing else in the way down to the base gasket (tensioner bracket below base gasket). Early models did have a webbing in the cylinders that prevent that scenario. What model is this?
XS1, dam so im breaking the cam chain as well, welp let me roll up my sleeves lol

Also while im replacing all of these gaskets does anything need to be decked or surfaced? Im thing I justy need to remove all gasket material and go from there

Also while im replacing all of these gaskets does anything need to be decked or surfaced? Im thing I justy need to remove all gasket material and go from there
Not in the normal course - especially if the head gasket was sealing before. There is a section in the manual with specs on flatness for the head gasket surface and a method for correcting as needed.

Heed JP's advice in post #2. NO GREEN GASKETS.
I shouldn’t post this as it will jinx my bike, but my XS has Athena (green) gaskets throughout and I don’t have any leaks at all. Now they’ll all probably start to leak this afternoon.

The next gasket set I will buy is Vesrah on the recommendation of many forum members.

Back