Be glad you have at least one "stone age" bike in your stable.

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
From ADV Rider forum, guy rides a late model BMW R1200GSA
"
5G has finally come to my area and a 5G site was recently activated along my travel path to work. I noticed the site being constructed in the summer and did not think much of it. About two months ago the bike tyre pressure sensor (TPS) alert for the rear tire indicated low pressure. I cleared the alaet and instantly got a critical TPS so I pulled over into a nearby service station to check the tyre.

The pressures were fine so I just noted it as a signals issue with the rear tire TPS and continued on to work. The next morning the same thing happened at the same place, just after I pass the 5G site, and has occurred almost every time I pass the location. Being a HAM radio operator and retired avionics repairman, I assumed there was some RF interference involved that was compromising the RF signal between the tire TPS sender and the bike. The rear tyre pressure sensor signal has always been a bit weaker than the front TPS monitor, although uncommon for it to take a long time to register on startup or to dis-connect randomly, I’ve seen it several times. The rear TPS has disconnected nearly every time I pass that 5G site has started to do the same thing at another new 5G site.

What concerns me is what happened last week. Traffic was unusually heavy and I ended up stopping right at the base of the 5G site that has been causing the rear TPS disconnect issue. Within seconds of stopping, the rear tire TPS did what it usually does, but then the Bluetooth lost connectivity, and several seconds later I received warnings for the front TPS, ABS failure, traction control failure and then an engine critical failure that caused me to hit the engine kill switch because I had no idea what was going on with the engine and electronics. Fortunately I was stopped in traffic on a local devided 4 lane with a 35 MPH limit so being run over was not a great concern.

I killed the master power to try and reset everything but when I turned power back on, the bike would not start and multiple critical warning were queued. I ended up pushing the bike about half a block to a parking lot, this is in a shopping center district, and then turned power back on and restart the bike. This time it started normally without any warnings or cautions."
https://www.r1200gs.info/threads/5g...ource=threadloom&utm_medium=email#post-321125

Mebby we should add a 2 stroke diesel bike to the stable. Anyone got a working carbide headlamp?

There is a great site on the web for tinfoil hats.
Tin heads.jpg
Got the tin hat covered ! :umm:

Yeah it sounds like conspiracy theory stuff, but it's actually true. The FAA did issue a statement about it.
The 5G people though are just short of calling the FAA's position a conspiracy theory. Or are politely calling it a conspiracy theory. I doubt the avrider's story actually. The radio link between his sensors and receiver if it's decently designed at all will be checksumed so the receiver knows the difference between a cohesive bad report and interference. So the worst that should happen would be it goes into its failure mode, like if it couldn't communicate with the sensor

I doubt the avrider's story actually. The radio link between his sensors and receiver if it's decently designed at all will be checksumed so the receiver knows the difference between a cohesive bad report and interference. So the worst that should happen would be it goes into its failure mode, like if it couldn't communicate with the sensor
Well mark this day on your calendar folks :rolleyes:... I actually agree. A properly designed system would have either a checksum or CRC built into the data stream. The worst that would happen is like what my F-150 says right now.... "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault".
If his bike had the massive failure(s) claimed... it don't speak well for the company's designers, because as far as I know... other than the TPS sensors, everything else is hardwired.
And if 5g can beat up on hardwired stuff like is claimed, well....

It is not 5 G but I have heard a story of HD s parked and stopped close to electrified railroads
Would not start I am Not into HD especially not new ones .
But can it have been some electronic theft protection that got jammed
If I recall right it needed to be removed from the electric wires or towed to a shop.

I have zero knowledge about 5G, but when GSM mobile phones were introduced in the 90's, the developers sort of admitted that the technology did not comply with the RFI regulations at that time. They basically gambled that an already overdue revision of RFI regulation and practices would be forced by the then new technology. There was reports of electric wheelchairs, and other electronic equipmen, operated randomly when GSM phones were used nearby.....

Well mark this day on your calendar folks :rolleyes:... I actually agree. A properly designed system would have either a checksum or CRC built into the data stream. The worst that would happen is like what my F-150 says right now.... "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault".
If his bike had the massive failure(s) claimed... it don't speak well for the company's designers, because as far as I know... other than the TPS sensors, everything else is hardwired.
And if 5g can beat up on hardwired stuff like is claimed, well....
Not sure hard wired and an ECU sniffing can-bus signals are equivalent?
Yeah I'm just spit balling but:
Poor shielding of high powered RF signal perhaps combined with an unintentional "reflector" in an installation might cause an RF "hot spot" nearby?

What the industry is most concerned about, Southwest CEO Gary Kelly told senators last week, is the arrival of a new 5G wireless service from AT&T and Verizon on Jan. 5. The aviation sector has been arguing that this launch will interfere with key cockpit systems and lead to major disruptions for travelers in the new year.
  • United Airlines CEO Scott Kirby said that the 5G rollout could delay, divert, or cancel ~4% of daily flights.
  • The trade group Airlines for America projected 5G-related delays will cost passengers $1.6 billion annually.
Why can’t 5G and cockpits get along?

Airline execs say 5G signals, which operate in a range of radio frequencies called the C-band, could mess with the cockpit systems that are used to track a plane’s altitude and help with landings in bad weather. So, in a situation where those systems are interfered with and dense fog rolls into Chicago, landings at O’Hare might be deemed unsafe, which would then wreak scheduling havoc across the country.

In response to these concerns, telecom leaders are playing the world’s smallest violin. Wireless companies paid at least $81 billion for the rights to this C-band, and they’re not going to let airline execs ruin their much-hyped push into next-gen wireless networks…especially when they consider those concerns unfounded.

• “The aviation industry’s fearmongering relies on completely discredited information and deliberate distortions of fact,” Nick Ludlum, senior vice president at wireless trade group CTIA, said.
Looking ahead…telecom and aviation leaders are locked in high-stakes negotiations with the White House and regulators over a deal that would dim 5G signal power near airports. In the meantime, airlines are warily prepping for flight restrictions.—NF

Last edited:
There's a concern that 5g's freq band is crowding too close to the band used by radar altimeters. Just so it's clear.... this is a concern by the airlines. To date, there's not been a single reported case of this happening... none.
I'll add that a rad alt operates by sending out an RF signal... basically just a burst of energy and measures the time it takes to reflect off of terrain and return back to the antenna. That's a fair bit different from this bikers claim of a disrupted data stream.... where the counting of ones and zeros is critical.

Not really sure of the how's and why's, but this looks to me like a pissin' contest between the airline industry and telecom. Since I come from an aviation world, I'd say I'm prolly biased toward them.... but not in this case. Claims of what might happen is a poor hill to die on. My opinion.... make yer case or stfu.

Last edited:
Interesting... not 5 min after my comment above, this popped up in my news feed.... The Hill.
More claimes of "might" or "could".... no hard fast evidence of actual interference....

"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and industry officials have previously raised concerns that 5G could affect aircraft electronics like radio altimeters, which are sensitive to the signal, Reuters noted. Earlier this month, the FAA warned that 5G could cause flight diversions." (emphasis mine)

Telecom's pushback:

"Wireless industry group CTIA has pushed back on claims from the FAA, however, saying that 5G is safe. It also accused the industry of distorting facts, Reuters noted."

Now I'm curious as to what's driving this pissin' contest. It sure ain't cold hard data from either side. :umm:

You Gentlemen are more Competent on this subject.
But the little I know and appears to come in the future is more Openness in the CAN bus of fex Bosch auto engine management
Volkswagens emissions Defraud
A compiled source code on distributed microcontroller system With a CAN Bus that not many can decode without the Info from the manufacturer
Who does not deliver that info on Business Know how grounds
The facts are kept secret .. Until big problems are a fact lives lost. Boeing Max 8 style ..
If not someone in the US had getting this thing moving Volkswagen and Boeing no one would have done it.
Might have been the US Auto Industry giving competition a kick into the Groin..

It can be different in Aviation. But not keeping a check on what is happening inside the " Black Box " will and have lead to deaths before.
I don't think it is a big Mistake to be healthy Skeptical
And if you ask me the Attitude at Boeing ..Was of a type that makes the ..Harder check motivated
" Dogs watching TV " and so -One cannot after that be surprised that more people are looking over your shoulder.
Bringing it down a notch and do a better job. The FAA Boss seems to be a bit more Heavy Handed No Nonsense Leadership
Calling the Supervisor a Dog Watching TV is a NoNo as far as I know. Is called Leadership
Cant really see the industry getting them off FAA and other off their back for a long time.
Do the job and you're left alone .But if not the boss is behind your back. Had it coming...

Back