Be glad you have at least one "stone age" bike in your stable.

Wiring in a big airplane is a lot of weight. I don't know exactly how much, but copper is pretty heavy. Airplanes are going to go wireless. It's already in the works. Maybe that's what they're worried about. Coming from me, that's only a guess.

It can be different in Aviation. But not keeping a check on what is happening inside the " Black Box " will and have lead to deaths before.
Here's what I don't get....
The FAA continuously fly's around the country re-certifying ILS approaches. It's done at every airport that has an ILS approach. It would be a simple matter to set up approach scenarios that intentionally targets 5g emitters.... someone can correct me, but I believe there's enough on-line now that we could have a definitive answer within a 6mo. test period. I'm curious as to why this hasn't already been done... or if it has, why haven't they given a definitive answer... does it interfere or not?

Just guessing here ,Bare with me if it is wrong
It can be a situation of FAA Implementing ... " There is a New sheriff in Town "
More than a Technical problem ..
Establishing Authority for FAA ..perhaps forcing firings at places they don't think are Cooperating

Used to be a plane flew over and your automatic garage door would open. 5G may attack the ATM system, the 'Football' carried by the President's Team, and who knows what else? I think I will stay put here on earth, wait and see what happens.
'TT'

cleardot.gif

I believe the radar altimeter involved here are part of the auto landing system on some of the larger jets. There is a guard band between the frequencies the airlines are using and the cellular phone companies frequencies. The worry is is that the much more powerful signal from the cell towers will swamp the input circuits of the radar altimeters even though they are operating on different frequencies. As several pointed out here the FAA is more concerned about could than will. I've only flown one plane with a radar altimeter and shot a lot of approaches in that plane during my instrument training. I have to say it's something that I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to and found it more of a distraction on approaches. I think the only time this will be a factor is an extremely I repeat extremely bad weather when the extra 50 ft that the auto landing can get with radar altimeter is involved. Course the bad news is that's exactly the time that you want the damn thing to work. Dark stormy night on approach to Idlewild low on fuel after a trans Atlantic flight is a hell of a time to find out the egg heads are wrong.

I have zero knowledge about 5G, but when GSM mobile phones were introduced in the 90's, the developers sort of admitted that the technology did not comply with the RFI regulations at that time. They basically gambled that an already overdue revision of RFI regulation and practices would be forced by the then new technology. There was reports of electric wheelchairs, and other electronic equipmen, operated randomly when GSM phones were used nearby.....

The big problem with GSM was hearing aids would squeal like pigs near them.

And remember the stickers on microwave ovens about staying away from them if you had a pacemaker.

Just saying. Nothing new under the Sun

auto landing system on some of the larger jets.
I can't imagine how an airline can compete without CAT III Autoland. I was a CAT III autoland technician going back to the L1011. I also can't imagine this hasn't been tested again and again and again. Also, pilots and flight attendants don't generally concern themselves with turning off their phone except for preserving the battery.

And remember the stickers on microwave ovens about staying away from them if you had a pacemaker.
I think staying away from a microwave is always a good idea, especially if you have eyeballs. I practice moving away every time I turn it on.

I also can't imagine this hasn't been tested again and again and again.

The big difference is 5g transmitters emit multitudes more power near the frequencies that the altimeter uses than anything else has . They worry is at some random time when conditions are at CAT III minimums that everything turns to S#@$ because of a very rare interference problem.

I loved flying on the L-1011. I wish the slug out would have been between Lockheed and Boeing instead of Douglass and Boeing.

Attempting to boil an egg in its shell in a m/wave does not end well.
Recall when a friend got their first Microwave, tried cooking an egg and it looked perfect when it came out of the oven. Then when he touched the yoke with a fork to try it, it literally exploded! Yoke had turned to dry powder!

Recall when a friend got their first Microwave, tried cooking an egg and it looked perfect when it came out of the oven. Then when he touched the yoke with a fork to try it, it literally exploded! Yoke had turned to dry powder!

A waitress friend of mine did something similar, a customer complained about his sunny side up eggs being cold, so she took them back and put them in the microwave, they held together just long enough for her to set them down in front of the guy before the yolks popped and splattered the guys shirt! He wasn’t happy! :laugh2:

Another late-to-the-party response.

Any hams in here remember this?

Remember 30-some years ago when airlines wanted passengers to turn off their radios and such? Seems silly, right? A radio only receives, right?

Overly simplified here, the majority of receiving equipment uses the superheterodyne design, where an internal oscillator's output is mixed with the received signal, and the resulting "beat frequency", also known as the intermediate frequency (IF) is demodulated to get the audio.

Superheterodyne.jpg

To get the desired 10.7mhz IF, the internal oscillator needs to be 10.7mhz lower, or higher. The FM band is about 10mhz above the aviation navigation band (VOR and Localizer). Some internal oscillators in cheap import radios would spew their unshielded emissions, interfering with nav instruments. In the general aviation (GA) world, some folks would install auto radios in the panel, exasperating the issue.

Bottom line, a cheap and poorly designed receiver can spew unwanted emissions into a neighboring band.

And, strong radiated signals can overload another receiver's input, and mix section...

Big Telecom has a New Years' resolution: 2022 is the year when, finally, finally, after much fanfare, delay, and rethinking, it executes a proper roll-out of 5G mobile service.

And they’re willing to do it by any means necessary — even if it means defying the aviation industry and the US Federal Government.
Infrequent Proposal

On Friday, the FAA and US Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg sent a letter to AT&T and Verizon requesting a two-week delay of the planned January 5th launch of C-band spectrum 5G wireless services, which operate on a frequency that may interfere with airplanes altitude-sensing radar altimeters.

By Sunday, AT&T CEO John Stankey and Verizon's Hans Vestburg penned a letter in return. Their response? A resounding “no.” Amid the spat, both industries contend with high stakes:

In a letter to the FCC, powerful trade group Airlines for America claimed 5G interference may result in 4% of all US flights being diverted, delayed, or canceled. The group calculated 32 million passengers, 345,000 passenger flights, and 5,400 cargo flights would be affected — a cost of billions of dollars.

AT&T and Verizon– which paid over $80 billion in a government auction for the rights to use the frequencies — claimed granting the FAA oversight over 5G rollout would constitute an “irresponsible abdication” of operating control over world-class technologies.

The French Concession: The telecom CEOs, however, did offer one point of compromise, saying they would adopt “exclusion zones” near major airports for six months, a model that’s proven successful near French airports.

Me again;
Even the slight chance of smooshing an airliner full of people into a runway on a foggy night seems like a good reason to be cautious. Even with the im-portance of everyone, having everything, streamed, all the time................

An ILS or GPS approach to minimums isn't a "single point fail" scenario. Either would require multiple failures and a very inattentive flight crew. If it happens, a smooshed airliner won't be the fault of 5g.

Back