Beach cruiser build

Well I got this guy all back together and tighten up. Replaced my seal with a genuine Yamaha and it still leak free after 75 miles so I’ll keep an eye on it but I think my seal was just bad. Seemed really loose.

I made a bit of headway on my carb set up too.

First I raised my needle 1 step (dropped the clip) cause I thought I was lean, turns out I was rich. Made the stumble at 4-6k even worse.

So I lowered my needle one step from my starting point and the stumble is all but gone. I am gonna drop it one more step and I think it should be gone.

I think I’m a smidge rich on my idle circuit so I’m gonna do a half turn out on my air screw and I think I should have that sorted.

judging by my plug I still may be a little lean on my top end so I’ll push that another size up and see what happens. I’ll keep going until it bogs.

Left plug

78534AB3-A8E1-4601-A215-584587C8539C.jpeg
CA4A5DE2-42D0-4D4F-B300-EB44460040D3.jpeg

Right plug

34A6D06A-49B1-46F9-BC76-7884D5328F55.jpeg
CE7C7319-DA87-4492-A790-CD0FFF7EE8B4.jpeg

When riding a few things really stuck out.

These tires run surprisingly well in a straight line on the highway. Could easily do a few hundred miles on em no problems.

It would also be hard to go back to a stock 650 after riding this BBK. It really turns it into a completely different bike.

I only got in about a 40 miles loop today, so hopefully next week I get it on to a few “off the beaten path” runs.

D50E8DC3-B7A5-4BE8-9180-CBA562673AF6.jpeg
43993B33-E6F1-4CE8-83B6-9ED0FA26E7E1.jpeg

They look like trials tires to me. You may find them less than ideal on a wet road, be careful.
I'll bet that bike sounds sweet !

You are correct.

I got highways, back roads, dirt roads and beaches to ride here.

They don’t corner and I wouldnt suspect them to do well in the rain. I’m sure they would putt me home or to a safe place to stop but I don’t plan on doing any rain riding.

And to clarify for anyone in the future who may stumble upon this sorting out a 750 Big Bore and Mikuni vm34 -

I’m currently here

195 main
6f9 needle
35 pilot
2.5 slide
159 p6 needle jet

1 turn out on the air screw
1 step down from the top on my needle.

I think a half-3/4 turn on the air screw and drops g the needle down to the top clip should sort out my set up but I will test and report back.

And to clarify for anyone in the future who may stumble upon this sorting out a 750 Big Bore and Mikuni vm34 -

I’m currently here

195 main
6f9 needle
35 pilot
2.5 slide
159 p6 needle jet

I think a half-3/4 turn on the air screw and drops g the needle down to the top clip should sort out my set up but I will test and report back.
Single mikuni VM34?

I’m currently here

195 main
6f9 needle
35 pilot
2.5 slide
159 p6 needle jet

Should there be a "Tech thread" on this matter. I have a 77D 750 BBK that I "think" I have sorted also. Problem is I do not know the CR nor whether port work was done.

Should there be a "Tech thread" on this matter. I have a 77D 750 BBK that I "think" I have sorted also.

Would probably be nice to have a thread dedicated to the Big Bore Kits where people could list the details of their bikes, and their carb set ups that are working well for them. Post a pic of the bike so people could get a good visual comparison of their bike and set up to help sort it out.

Would probably be nice to have a thread dedicated to the Big Bore Kits where people could list the details of their bikes, and their carb set ups that are working well for them. Post a pic of the bike so people could get a good visual comparison of their bike and set up to help sort it out.
I don't know how to do that but would offer my step by step journey of discovery...

WideAWAKE - you should not be shy about feeling proud of this build. It looks fantastic! Fitting that I'm checking this Beach Cruiser Build update out as I'm having a cheeseburger and a beer, listening to some great Californian music (on vinyl, of course), New Riders of the Purple Sage! Have lots of fun and please post a video one day.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

WideAWAKE - you should not be shy about feeling proud of this build. It looks fantastic! Fitting that I'm checking this Beach Cruiser Build update out as I'm having a cheeseburger and a beer, listening to some great Californian music (on vinyl, of course), New Riders of the Purple Sage! Have lots of fun and please post a video one day.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully once it’s dialed, I can get some good rides in.

It seems your day could be worse haha.

On a side note - Vancouver island?? I went up there for a scooter rally in probably 2007. Poured rain a few days, lots of great riding. For some reason I remember riding up a narrow brick road(about 8 or so feet wide) with high walls on the side. No problem if you were alone, trying to get 100+ vintage scooters up it at the same time in the rain was quite a feat haha.

Getting back up that way is on my list of things to do. I’d like to do a surf trip through the Great Bear Rainforest.

From that angle and with that tank rack, looks very like my lamented1970 TR6. Don't have any good pictures but yer tiz.

View attachment 220713

Well I did my job than haha.

If you go back to the beginning, my goal was to build a poor man’s tr6, hence the tank decal that says “knockoff”.

Back