Best handlebar grips

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
What‘s everyone using for handlebar grips. Looking to replace mine on both bikes and looking for decent grips that will help dampen vibration through the bars.

Unfortunately, my favorite is no longer being made, Sunline Grand Touring grips .....

Grand Touring Grips.jpg

But I am quite liking the cheapo Banggood grips I put on my '83. They seem to be pretty good at absorbing the vibes .....

$200SpecialClean5.jpg

Fitted these to my XS1B, replicas of GP type grips which were replicas of Beston type grips, whatever that means.
They look very similar to the XS1 originals (from the photos I've seen) and only cost £8.
If handlebar vibration is getting to you, try altering their resonant vibration frequency by fitting bar end weights.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220728-084901.jpg
    Screenshot_20220728-084901.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 47
Vibration through the bars has pretty much disappeared by using the weighted end Standard bars.
What I found problematic with the stock style grips is the need, for me at least, of double gripping to get to full throttle. I don't know how to explain it more than the radius to utilize the full turning of the throttle is to start out with your hand uncomfortably bent down on the initial gripping......either that or shifting the grip when higher revs are achieved. Doing XSJohn's (RIP) bs34's throttle mod helped with those carbs, however the 38's can't be modded as such. I found that the style that Grewth posted above to be perfect.
In summary?
Weight yer bar ends and get fat grips......problem(s) solved.

Fitted these to my XS1B, replicas of GP type grips which were replicas of Beston type grips, whatever that means.
They look very similar to the XS1 originals (from the photos I've seen) and only cost £8.
If handlebar vibration is getting to you, try altering their resonant vibration frequency by fitting bar end weights.
I also run these, Emgo GT grips. They're available in a few different colors and transparent as well.

https://www.common-motor.com/honda-...I6VVmxVp-yKUAlWLQefixmri4WYw0BFoaArELEALw_wcB

Not everyone's cup of tea but these are MY favorites, go on all my bikes that don't have factory heated grips.
siligrips.jpg

SiliGrips_Best_Grips_V2_01_sm.jpg

couldn't have done the Iron butt on madness without them.
colorado siligrips, pick the softest compound.
OH crap the website is inactive, good thing I stocked up.

Like jetmechmarty, I'm running the Biltwell recoils. Note in the photos the right hand grip expanded to a greater outside diameter than the left due to the throttle sleeve. That was a toughy to get on. They've helped for sure.

Attachments

• 20220730_073437.jpg
    20220730_073437.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220730_073321.jpg
    20220730_073321.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 55
Where did you buy those? With my bar end mirrors I’d have to cut the ends of the grips off. Do you see any problem with doing that?

Thx. A bit expensive for me for a one time use tool. On the left side, if I smack the end of the installed grip against the handlebar end with a rubber mallet, would the handlebar cut the end of the grip out. Throttle side is a bit trickier.
I have a set of gasket punches that might do the same thing as the Motion Pro kit. I’ll have a look.
Thanks for the links and giving me the idea.

You could try Motogadget soft rubber grips.
They fit the hand nicely and have great feel.
I have run Builtwell on other bikes with good results against vibes.

Back