Best LED bulbs for indicator and tail lights?

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to replace the bulbs in the indicator and tail lights on my 77 XS. Stock, round taillight, reproduction early type indicators.
I am particularly interested in brighter brake lights and tail lights. Suggestions anyone?

I would like to replace the bulbs in the indicator and tail lights on my 77 XS. Stock, round taillight, reproduction early type indicators.
I am particularly interested in brighter brake lights and tail lights. Suggestions anyone?

Hi arctic,
brighter is better and safer, eh?
No idea which brand or style of LED works best though.
I'm sure you are aware that LED signals do not draw enough power to work the stock flasher unit
and that an LED-compatable flasher unit will not work with the signal self-cancelling unit.

I'm using these. Very happy with 'em. Nice and bright.

LED Tailight1.jpg

IMG_20200123_142259.jpg

Hi arctic,
brighter is better and safer, eh?
No idea which brand or style of LED works best though.
I'm sure you are aware that LED signals do not draw enough power to work the stock flasher unit
and that an LED-compatable flasher unit will not work with the signal self-cancelling unit.
Fred, I am rewiring the Bike entirely, using an M Unit, which Will replace the conventional flasher relay. And self-cancelling unit is not stock on my 77, and nothing I need on any bike.

Doing some 'sperimenting, banggood 1157 base red LEDS intended for harley bullet turnsignals give red running and turn indication. The running led also shuts off for a second after the turn LED goes out, to increase the contrast. Also means they will not work in taillights. Removed bulb base from these Taiwan repo turnsignals to put in led. Clipped leads off 1157 base to wire. Top is LED in running mode middle is incandescent bulb. Good contrast between run and brake/turn. They seem bright in my lighted basement but I've been fooled before.:rolleyes:
1579819965414-777484578.jpg 1579820249980649237950.jpg
I have a pair of these on order with white run amber turn LEDS for the front turnsignals. The lens will make both appear amber. Plan is installing these on WJL the 70, which currently :geek: has NO turnsignals. With a long trip planned next summer I don't want to depend on hand signals :cautious:

Last edited:
Also from banggood these LED reflector replacements with run and brake lights. Contrast is not high, not real bright but gotta help?
1579821018209-1477092227.jpg

Last edited:
Also from banggood these LED reflector replacements with run and brake lights. Contrast is not high, not real bright but gotta help?
View attachment 158725
Wow, I've never seen lighted reflectors, i think they make more sense for the side reflectors under the front of the tank.
3 wires, blue and red, why the distinction, driving and park?
Got a link?

Back