Best Phillips Screwdriver for JIS Modification

BlueNorth

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I ordered JIS driver bits earlier this week but it seems there is a shortage of them at the moment. I suspect it will be close to the end of the month before I receive my order.

The Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) was created (in part) because there was such a wide tolerance variance between one manufacturer and another. The same would be true of Phillips screwdrivers and hex bits. I can take a handful of Phillips hex bits or screwdrivers and only one or two will fit somewhat well in a JIS screw head.

I have read several threads where forum members have successfully removed the throttle plate screws using a modified Phillips screwdriver. I plan on taking this route now but I would like to know what make of screwdriver has been used in the past. If I know what has been used successfully, I can hopefully duplicate that success myself.

Thanks,

Wayne

I had good luck using the bit that comes with the harbor freight impact driver unmodified. Didn't tear the screws up and had a nice fit.

Long ago, I acquired some contractor's grade non-slip grip bits. Hardened steel, serrated surface, work great. Would consider something like this...
GripBit.jpg

You know when you have the right fit. It completely fills the screw head and grips the screw. The Sealy impact driver is good for the large screw heads like the clutch and chromed points/advance covers. Someone mentioned here in the last 2 months that you can lightly grind down a hex bit to get a very good fit. They had a photo to show the profiles of JIS and Phillips heads.

Also see Entry 11: http://www.xs650.com/threads/my-top-tip-today-is.50049/#post-516070

Back