Bike shuts off when put into gear(kickstand safety)

Jonaven

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i am assuiming this is the kickstand safety switch, only issue is i have minimal wiring(headlight,tailight,kickstart) so i am wondering if there is a wire or something i have to put into a loop to stop that from happening?

There was a sidestand safety switch on the '82-'83 models. It acted upon a relay which killed the ignition when activated. There were two "triggers" for the relay, the sidestand switch and the signal from the neutral light. One or the other had to be in effect or the relay would kill the ignition. If you just removed the sidestand switch, the bike would only run in neutral and die when put in gear. You must remove the sidestand switch AND the relay. No jumper wires are needed, just remove both items.

mines a 78 so im assuming its not a safety switch then, any other suggestions
There was a sidestand safety switch on the '82-'83 models. It acted upon a relay which killed the ignition when activated. There were two "triggers" for the relay, the sidestand switch and the signal from the neutral light. One or the other had to be in effect or the relay would kill the ignition. If you just removed the sidestand switch, the bike would only run in neutral and die when put in gear. You must remove the sidestand switch AND the relay. No jumper wires are needed, just remove both itemine is a 78

Below is the stock wiring diagram by jayel. It's going to be a matter of determining what is connected and what is eliminated.
78_XS650SE.jpg

Well then, focusing just for a moment on the neutral wire coming from the sender atop the transmission: it's only function in a simplified system is to light the neutral light by providing the ground to a switched power circuit (on with key) providing positive voltage to that light. That ground should ground no other circuit and should not connect to any common ground. I'd check that first.

First off I would be tempted to say contact who ever did the wiring to see what they say.

The next step might be to simply disconnect the wire going to the neutral switch on top of the transmission and see if that solves the problem. If it does you would need to figure out why it is doing this but at least that would give you/us some place to start.

One thing I should have asked is did this wiring system ever work after whoever did it was done? If it di at one time work was anything changed since then, even something not directly connected to wiring? Thinking that maybe a wire got pinched or something of that nature.

Had me fooled.......lol

Glad it's fixed!

Had me fooled.......lol

Glad it's fixed!
Yea that is the problem with trying to diagnose a problem relying on text messages on a computer screen. I bet 99.9% of those here would have caught the problem in less than a second if there in person! Not saying if I would be that 0.1% or not!

Yea that is the problem with trying to diagnose a problem relying on text messages on a computer screen. I bet 99.9% of those here would have caught the problem in less than a second if there in person! Not saying if I would be that 0.1% or not!
No, the problem with trying to diagnose problems over the internet is the accuracy of the OP's description. Had he stated that the bike "lurches forward" when it's put into gear, we all would have said stuck clutch.

Let this be a lesson for those of you that need help.... describe the PROBLEM.... not what "you think" the problem is.

I will give the OP credit for coming back and letting us know what fixed it. That is very much appreciated. :D

Last edited:
Back