Bike won't start after tip over and running out of gas

Okay. Finally saw a pickup coil that fits my bike and isn't $300. The seller says its unused and OEM, and it looks like it. Here it is.
I just want to check with you guys real quick if there's any reason to worry that the pickup coil would break down on its own over time? Ie. should I have him test it and is that possible without it being connected to a bike? (Any demos I saw online had the coil testing done on the bike)
Still in the package is good a day, a decade... and prolly a century later. Damn that's expensive, but it should be good.
If you want him to test it... you ohm the three wires. you want about 700Ω across each coil. and 1400Ω across both. There's only 3 wires so there's only one way to test it. You don't need to know the colors.

Your mechanic gonna eat the money for that if he's wrong? :whistle:

I know it's stated the motorcycle mechanic works on motocross bikes, makes me think of a real magneto. He might not be as familiar with street bike electric, I've been on this site for years probably close to ten and have never saw a post about a pickup going bad. I guess it's possible but just that's allot of dough. Definitely I'm no professional, I just want don't want someone to spend that $ and not be 100%.

I know it's stated the motorcycle mechanic works on motocross bikes, makes me think of a real magneto. He might not be as familiar with street bike electric, I've been on this site for years probably close to ten and have never saw a post about a pickup going bad. I guess it's possible but just that's allot of dough. Definitely I'm no professional, I just want don't want someone to spend that $ and not be 100%.

Yes Sir Mr Joe is on a roll ..Putting it out here for others to have opinions on
The pickup have no moving parts and sits behind a cover and is not that much heat affected.
Not read through .but it to fail after the bike tipping over Naa Aehh..hhh everything is possible.
Of course
But I would not look there first. And try to measure according to instructions here.

If it is those sums of money are we not into a New Boyer Bransden full system as an alternative.
Or a used one from the forum
And perhaps someone has a pickup for shipping and testing
Dont wish to complicate things .. But fault finding on bike electrics can be difficult
Maybe installning a new Boyer setup is simpler

My bike had a pickup go bad. I’ve had it since new. It failed right about the time Jon Zelna sold 650 Central. The guy taking care of that business before Michael Morse took over procured one for me. Failure mode is open circuit. One of my coils opened. The used replacement has been working fine ever since.

.................. I want a spare in the bag when I wander far from home. Fool me once….

1674745047022.png

:laughing:
:lmao:
:laugh:

When Marie put up a Wanted advert I looked at what I had. Found 4 in total. Only one is serviceable.... and that's my spare. The rest have an open coil. Maybe failure isn't as rare as we think?

...and don't ask me why I still have the bad ones on the shelf. :whistle: :doh:

Only one side or the other.
Keep in mind the latest test version of the Transmic (which we ain't tested yet) will (also) use the idle coil for starting.
If that proves to be the goldilocks version, you'll need both coils.

When Marie put up a Wanted advert I looked at what I had. Found 4 in total. Only one is serviceable.... and that's my spare. The rest have an open coil. Maybe failure isn't as rare as we think?

...and don't ask me why I still have the bad ones on the shelf. :whistle: :doh:
measured by probing at the pick up or at the 3 pin connector?
inquiring minds......................

measured by probing at the pick up or at the 3 pin connector?
inquiring minds......................
This one had a crushed wire (orange) a few inches out from the pickup. Probed it there and still bad.... open.

1674755598149.png

This one was also open at the orange. Cut it in 2in sections all the way to the end.... still open.
Think I shit canned the third one... :umm:

1674755730749.png

Thanks everyone!
Damn well hope he'd eat the cost @Jim --or at least hang his head in shame haha. And I did ask him to check the surrounding wires, which he said was the plan.
At this point, I feel like ive waited long enough to see if I can find a cheaper one and nothing is popping up.
And yeah, the bike just tipped over, but it also revved to high heaven; I don't know enough to say if that would bust/stress the coil (it wouldn't start after that, but again, I had run through gas, but then I refilled and still nothing), or if my repeated attempts would. And if not, as we all know, when it comes to cause and effect in any life arena, correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation. I'm gonna grab it and move forward.

I'm gonna grab it
Perhaps you could get the mechanic to purchase it (I realise that this would be difficult to achieve), and thus take full responsibility for the diagnosis.

You could alternatively withdraw your bike from his/her custody for a bit while you consider your options under less pressure.

Last edited:
Back