Bike wont start?, Running rough?

Read the charging system guide, as always check the brushes first. Don't buy parts til you have done the trouble shooting. You will just be wasting your money chasing random it's this or that advice from "friends".

Since I've had the bike I've never had any problems with the battery not starting the bike. Yesterday it started right up and I hit the rode once I made it to my destination I shut it off and tried to start it again maybe 3-5 minutes later and it was completely dead. If its te battery would it have happened that fast? With no warning? I'm definitely going to replace the battery and go with a gel battery. If you were in my shoes what would be your plan of action to get the bike back on the road?

When I check the brushes what am I looking for? Damage, corrosion, rust? Any other components tied in with the brushes to inspect while the cover is off?

I've never worked on bikes before so I'm completely new to all of this. I've worked on cars before so I have some mechanical experience. Just zero motorcycle repair experience. So I am completely relying on advice from this forum and any other info I can find on the net.

Yes, A battery can be fine one day and bad the next. On my Harley the battery was acting fine, starting the bike well, Next day nothing, I even jumped it of a car battery, started up and ran fine, Unhooked the jumpers and the bike quit.
Put a charger on the battery, it took a full charge but it went dead before I got it back in the bike. It was over 5 years old so I replaced it then everything was fine.
How old is your battery?
I would fully charge your battery and take it to someone to have it load tested.
If good use it, if not replace.
I would then test the charging system, does it charge the battery? At idle 121.5 volts or so, at anything over about 2000-2500 rpms it should come up to 14.5 volts and at higher revs never go over 14.5 volts.
The brushes by the book should be at least 1/4 long, usually 3/8 inch is a better minimum.
You need to remove the brushes to check them. If they are stock brushes there will be a line on the brushes showing minimum length. Most after market brushes won't have the line.
If you don't have a repair manual then you shoud get one. There are sevral places online to down load one. biker.net is one. the XS650 Garage USA site has them too.
The book explians how to check the charging system. "Curly's Guide" is a good one too. It can be found in the XS650 TECH section up at the top of the page. Click it, scroll down to Electrical, The third from the bottom is an updated version with pics. Read it, read it again, until you understand it. Use it to trouble shoot your charging system.
All you need is a good digital meter and a few hand tools along with the guide and you can fix it.
Leo

Last edited:
I am not getting ANY electricity from my NEW battery when I turn the key on my 1978 XS 650. Would the points being out of adjustment have something to do with that?

I am not getting ANY electricity from my NEW battery when I turn the key on my 1978 XS 650. Would the points being out of adjustment have something to do with that?

More info needed. Type of battery. How did you do the initial charging? How many hours did you spend on the initial charging? What is the voltage now between the battery terminals?

Hi, ive got a 1979 Yamaha XS650Special, Ive recently changed out my points to the pamco igniton and the stock coils to a set of dual output, took the old wire harness off and replaced it with a new one, bought a new battery, installed it all, and my bike still wont turn over using the electric start, my battery did sit for a little bit, so i figured it might of been dead, so i turned on the key, and the on off handle bar switch, and tried to kick start, still nothing, any ideas?
AS far as i no i installed the pamco correctly because i came on here and get step by step instructions.
Could it be my carbs?
Can i hook up a battery booster/charger to see if i can get power to turn on the lights?

#1 get to a KNOWN good, fully charged 12 volt battery then see what the bike tells you.

Hi, ive got a 1979 Yamaha XS650Special, Ive recently changed out my points to the pamco igniton and the stock coils to a set of dual output, took the old wire harness off and replaced it with a new one, bought a new battery, installed it all, and my bike still wont turn over using the electric start, my battery did sit for a little bit, so i figured it might of been dead, so i turned on the key, and the on off handle bar switch, and tried to kick start, still nothing, any ideas?
AS far as i no i installed the pamco correctly because i came on here and get step by step instructions.
Could it be my carbs?
Can i hook up a battery booster/charger to see if i can get power to turn on the lights?

What do you mean by "set of dual output"? Set means 2 or more to me, but a Pamco only uses one dual output coil.

What type of battery did you buy, and how did you charge it? A charged lead acid battery should measure around 12.5 volts................what does your battery measure?

If your battery is discharged, then take the battery out of the bike and charge it on the bench for about 10 to 12 hours....................... charge at 2 amps or less.

Using a car chager/booster is a great thing to use if you want tofry your electrical system.
Wal Mart sells a Shcumacher charger designed for small batteries. It has a motorcycle on the box. Model SEM-1562A. It costs around $35. Money well spent.
Leo

What do you mean by "set of dual output"? Set means 2 or more to me, but a Pamco only uses one dual output coil.

What type of battery did you buy, and how did you charge it? A charged lead acid battery should measure around 12.5 volts................what does your battery measure?

If your battery is discharged, then take the battery out of the bike and charge it on the bench for about 10 to 12 hours....................... charge at 2 amps or less.

I ment one dual output coil.
And a buddy of mine borrowed my battery for a bike he bought to screw around with and he said my battery is f***ed, so im going to buy a new one and ill try it.
I get mine from Canadian Tire, any certain type of battery you recommend?

I have a question for all you xs heads out there, maybe one of you knows what is going on here, ok I just picked up a xs650 that had been sitting for a couple years in a garage. the guy said he rode it home, after a good cleaning of the carbs and checking all the grounds and bought a new battery and plugs. here is the problem. other that the starter being junk it does start on both cylinders. for about a second then shuts down like the key was turned off. what do I need to do to fix this?

The valve adjustment specs are in the repair manual you should have gotten before anything else.
There are places online where you can download them for free. biker.net is one.
To answer your question, try .003 intake. .006 exhaust. Works well on most years.
Leo

Pyrobooster ... it sounds like your fuel isn't flowing into the carbs !
if it's a vaccuum activated petcock ( i have one and hate it!) it may well be that it is restricting the flow of fuel to the carbs....
or your Vaccuum line is cracked that goes up to the petcock... or major vaccuum leak somewhere
if it's not a vaccuum operated petcock it just might be plugged with junk
Hopefully others will hop in here and tell ya what's going on ! ...
I'm new here and an old hand at bikes but new to the XS650.... so I really don't want to say much ! LOL
...Bob.........

Back