Blinker wiring

Thursty

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Been awhile since i been on here, and looking for help with my blinkers.

The previous owner of my bike had completely stripped the wiring for the bikes blinkers, and meter bracket. The owner was heavily influenced by chopper culture in the 70s and had removed as much as possible, and this included the installation of a toggle switch ignition switch with kick only. Upon installation of my new wiring harness, and my fondness of the minimalistic ignition toggle switch, i did the same with my new harness. However, im having difficulties getting my blinker to flash. I can get constant power, but nothing else. I noticed on the wiring diagram that there was a 'flasher pilot' that was connected to the blinker circuit. Not sure what a flasher pilot is, but is it needed to make the blinker flash? Wiring is completely new to me and im kind of winging it. Hope this makes sense and wondering if anyone can help. Thanks.

For testing purposes, I currently have a 3 way toggle switch installed to the brown/white wire that comes from the flasher relay, that wouldve previously ran to a flasher switch. I then have the hot wire for the blinker running to the toggle switch, with the blinker grounded. Again, i can get constant power, but not a flash. Its also a 2 prong flasher relay. Are flasher relays directional? If so, which prong is for the power source, and which prong is for the flasher.

Yes on the direction for many of them: X or B for power in (normally brown), L for power out (Load) normally brown/white. 2-prong flashers often work on bi-metal and need a certain amount of current to make it work too.

The blinker relay im currently using is one that came off my brother in-laws bike ill post a pic of it here.

IMG_20230607_211556687.jpg

There is 11.5 volts running to the blinker when not running. Its just solid. Same amount of voltage running to the relay. I think its around 12.6-14 when running

I stand corrected. 14 running to relay when running, and 11.6 to blinker when running. So 14 to relay, 11.6 out of relay.

Are your signal bulbs incandescent 27Watt or maybe LED or sumptin?

My flasher relay looks like that except for 3 connections. Brown, R/W and G/Y. What do you have? Year?

I have a 76 xs650c, with a new harness bought off xs650direct. Relay plug on harness has b/w, brown, and black. The plug was wired in with the black (ground) on the center prong, so i switched out one of the other wires to accommodate the 2 prong relay. Not sure what bulbs. It was a blinker that came off my brother in-laws bike. Same bike the relay came off of.

So if the flasher is matched to the bulbs and the bulbs are getting current, then the ground is suspect. I'd test continuity to battery negative or run a jumper to battery negative terminal

This is what im running with right now. So does 10w mean its a 10 watt bulb, and does the 21w on the flasher mean 21 watt? Again, electrical is completely new to me lol...

The numbers on that flasher indicate it is rated for 2 x 21W bulbs. The bulbs appear to be 10W. That may be the issue....if verifying the proper ground didn't help, I'd next try 2 27W bulbs.

Back