Boyer Bransden Ignition installation on my XS2

Ok, forgive the crude drawing, I’m no good at creating things on the computer. So what I did was , connect to the red/ white wire that comes from ignition switch / kill switch and run that wire back to my relay. I used this just as a trigger to activate the relay switch. Then I ran a wire from the switched power side of the relay , back forward to the front of the bike and then split it. I ran one wire to the positive side of the coil and one wire to the red wire from the Boyer box.
158BB0C4-3ACB-4BC7-8239-0C2FB1D9C6FC.jpeg

The old wires that went to your points and condenser can just be taped up and pulled out of the way.
You know normally I take photos of every detail when I do something. This is the one time I didn’t. :laugh2:
Let me know if I can be if any further assistance.

Here’s a photo I did have, I added a blue arrow that points to the connector where I picked up switched power from the red/ white wire. The yellow arrow shows where the wire comes back from the relay and where the wire was split. It might be a little confusing that I used a black wire to go to the coil, I ran out of red wire and I wanted to get done. :whistle:
0FDDAE08-6058-456F-A7F2-4AF7F8843C79.jpeg

Guys. Same subject but different bike. Same premise. Parallel twin 1972 Triumph 650. Boyer ignition. Wired positive ground. Way it came to me. One day it just quit getting spark. I rewired the whole bike and inspected wires as I removed them. Did this just because it was old and wasn’t sure about the connections. The other guy had a lot of splices in the harness. Continuity checked ok but I still wanted to be sure. Key on and I touch black/yellow to black/white I get spark. This is disconnected from the stator plate. I hook the stator plate back up, turn key on, kick and no spark. So I tested the magnets on the rotor. They test fine. Remembered I had an new old stock Triumph/BSA Boyer. Installed this for shits and giggles. Still the same. Everything is new and no spark by kicking. New plugs, plug wires, wiring harness, Boyer system. What the hell? It’s gotta be in the stator and rotor. Magnets not close enough to the coil poles? Right? Sorry of this is a already answered question that I didn’t run across. To be blunt, a lot of d$&kheads on Triumph Rat forum. Edit: I think it’s 35 degrees bTDC and I have a tool for this. Timing should be good. Thanks on advance for your patience

Guys. Same subject but different bike. Same premise. Parallel twin 1972 Triumph 650. Boyer ignition. Wired positive ground. Way it came to me. One day it just quit getting spark. I rewired the whole bike and inspected wires as I removed them. Did this just because it was old and wasn’t sure about the connections. The other guy had a lot of splices in the harness. Continuity checked ok but I still wanted to be sure. Key on and I touch black/yellow to black/white I get spark. This is disconnected from the stator plate. I hook the stator plate back up, turn key on, kick and no spark. So I tested the magnets on the rotor. They test fine. Remembered I had an new old stock Triumph/BSA Boyer. Installed this for shits and giggles. Still the same. Everything is new and no spark by kicking. New plugs, plug wires, wiring harness, Boyer system. What the hell? It’s gotta be in the stator and rotor. Magnets not close enough to the coil poles? Right? Sorry of this is a already answered question that I didn’t run across. To be blunt, a lot of d$&kheads on Triumph Rat forum. Edit: I think it’s 35 degrees bTDC and I have a tool for this. Timing should be good. Thanks on advance for your patience

I have not checked the difference XS --Tri
Is that no spark with plugs outside or inside cylinder ?? .. If spark outside plugs grounded against Cylinder head
( be careful. )
Please check so the 2 wires to the pickup is not switched

Outside the cylinder with alligator clips jumped from plug to head for solid ground. The system works when I bypass the stair and rotor. It just doesn’t spark through the stator and rotor.

Outside the cylinder with alligator clips jumped from plug to head for solid ground. The system works when I bypass the stator and rotor It just doesn’t spark through the stator and rotor.

Outside the cylinder with alligator clips jumped from plug to head for solid ground. The system works when I bypass the stator and rotor It just doesn’t spark through the stator and rotor.

Just so I understand
Everything connected but the spark plugs outside cylinder grounded -- No spark
But the box and coil is alive without rotor and magnet.

Just to take it again .if the 2 wires to the stator are at the wrong place it ( Spark ) comes at the wrong time and wont fire the bike even if there is spark

I remember seeing fault finding procedures
Can be of help on the rotor and magnet

http://vintagebikemagazine.com/technical-articles/boyer-trouble-shooting/

I have not checked the difference XS --Tri
Is that no spark with plugs outside or inside cylinder ?? .. If spark outside plugs grounded against Cylinder head
( be careful. )
Please check so the 2 wires to the pickup is not switched
Thanks for your input. I checked everything and just went ahead and hooked the reg/rec and battery all up. Kicked it and I got spark. I have no idea what this means. Maybe better ground? The way this system is grounded? Who knows. Haha

Back