Breather Puke...

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The one thing that is driving me nuts is the oil coming out of the breather tubes. I've researched threads about this and am still a little confused. I've lowered the oil level and still having to clean the swingarm and brake switch after a ride, I've seen suggestions to route the lines into the air boxes as well as plug one side fully or both partially. I'm just a little confused about which is best. Chain has enough lube from this. This is the set-up I have. I left the airboxes stock because I feel it run's best that way.
breatherbox.JPG
Any suggestions?

Route them down under the frame so that they hang about 3 inches below the lowest part of the frame, off to either side so they are not directly in line with the rear tire. A semi-snug zip tie to keep them in place.

Scott

How are you checking the Oil? Should be on center STAND, HALF WAY BETWEEN THE MARKS. MY 71 HAS THE SAME AIR Boxes. My crank case breather is as described above. What year?

2M it's not bad enough to be ring blowby. It was worse before I found out about the oil level issue and dropped that down but I've got over 500 miles on the break-in so I feel I'm probably past most offiishedbobber9.JPG that, it's just enough to be irritating. Angus67 it's a '72. I just know it was a problem in the earlier years and I've seen some of the fixes. I'm just a little confused because there are several described in different posts.

That early it will have two outlets, in the mid years they tried plugging one side. They tried plugging one side and restricting the other. On the later years they went to the one outlet breather.
I might try plugging one side and running the other to a catch can. Try installing a power brake check valve between the breather and catch can. The check valve creates a negative press inside the crank case and helps control oil loss as well as a slight improvement of power. Helps seal rings better.
Leo

Thanks Leo I'm trying the plug and restrict. I'll go for a ride tomorrow morning and see how it works.

After thinking about it I used two all thread couplings to restrict both tubes. I figured why restrict one and plug the other if I could just restrict both. 3/8" threaded rod coupling slid right into the tube snugly and after a ride I noticed that it seemed to work. I was able to notice that now my shifter shaft seal is leaking.:doh: One of a couple of seals I didn't replace....

Attachments

• breatherplug.JPG
    breatherplug.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 70
Back