breather 'upgrade'?

madjap

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This might sound dumb BUT... I wanted a single breather tube and didn't wanna pay the big bucks for an original one, so I did THIS: I didn't realize it but the two tube style breather on my bike comes apart! You can pull that Y out of the box / collector / filter. OK, cool! I pulled it out and found an old PCV valve (like the style that pushed into the valve cover of every car/truck engine made in the US for about 80trillion years) and it fit perfectly! I cut about half of the PCV valve 'big' end off and pressed it into the box / collector / filter and had my single breather tube!

I think he's using just the tubing from the PCV valve and not the valve itself. Or at least I hope he is. A PCV valve won't work here because it doesn't react quick enough to the pressure pulses. I think they just stay jammed open, so it's like not having anything there but an open hose.

I think he's using just the tubing from the PCV valve and not the valve itself. Or at least I hope he is. A PCV valve won't work here because it doesn't react quick enough to the pressure pulses. I think they just stay jammed open, so it's like not having anything there but an open hose.

That's right. Heavy metal piston in there can't move that fast...

The new style breather is smaller and makes carb removal easier. Looks better and works better and big bucks. Your solution works little or no money and one hose. :thumbsup:

You guys are right, the 'valve' inside the PCV valve was taken out, I just used the 'outer assembly' of the PCV valve. It pressed in a good tight fit but I shortened the press in part because it was a bit too long. Now, if I could quit having STUFF happen all the time around here and sucking the money outta my pocket and stealing my TIME, I could finish the wiring on this dang thing and get it ready for teardown n paint. Thanks for the comments guys, it was just cheaper and a fairly easy 'fix' compared to finding a single tube ass'y.

Inovation at its finest! hows your build coming along there compadre?

Slowly, with spurts of interruptions! I've rode it and tested it a little, gotta get some jets for the carbs maybe, but all the weird stuff I've done to it seems to be working so far! Everybody LOVES my external alternator set-up. One guy called it a 'farmer-fix', his back-strap and liver weren't bad but I couldn't hardly eat the rest of him... Hows the law treating you?

they are rough... I'm not going to lie... I'm stuck writing a huge paper on native american general stream adjudications... but only a year left and i can get on with it. you should post of picture of that external alternator, i don't think I've seen it

Where are you buying your power brake check valves? im in europe. so ebay would be the best. but cant find any near enough, only in the US.

Back